a 2 yr old pushed in my friend's FF85K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...both drivers. at least it was his 2 yr old and not mine :). just the domes, the rest and foam surrounds look fine. what's the best method to suck these out, or are they knackered? i was thinking a small 1 Hp shop-vac with a slit cut in tape over the hose business end to reduce the suck.

thanks!

I have had the same problem, I bent a strait pin (the kind you get when you buy a shirt) at appx 90 degrees, pushed the pin in the dust cap and then rotated the pin so the bent part of the pin pulled out against the pushed in dust cap. Took a few tries but only one tiny hole. The pushed in dust caps were on a woofer and then a dome tweeter. Kids are still alive and now in university. A lot more expensive than the speakers were.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
What is it with 2 year olds???

My nephew punched in my dust caps on my Spica woofers when he was 2. (He still gets ribbed about and he will be graduating college next year)

My little girl, now 2.5, was sticking a finger on the dust cover. Thankfully, she doesn't know she can remove it. And now my 1.5 is starting to show interest.

I've not touched the dust caps since it happened, but these are good tips for those of us with kids with little pointy fingers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The aluminum cap on the FF85 may be (mostly) recoverable. It is a much tigher radius and a more important part of the performance than on the larger FFs. On those it is REALLY easy to push the cap in, and with a little care pull it back out using green (or blue) painters tape. Scotch tape may work as well.

Even if you get it out, the metal will have been stressed, and the HF may not be as smooth as before. If you do get it out, you may want to damp it with a layer of puzzlecoat (application is quite tricky, mail me for detail)

You may want to get a backup pair of drivers, so that when the young ones have passed the pokey-the-dustcaps stage you can swap in freah ones (as of this post Madisound has <5 pair left, and after that i'll have the NA stocks, all of which will become FF85KeN, this is my favorite Fostex driver and i've stocked up)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No one knows except those at Fostex, Word is we won't see anything until late summer, early fall, but given all the advance notice on the FFs (none) have to take that with a grain of salt,

With many of the top Fostex driver people now at the Mat-factory in Japan (where the Alpair 10 Mk2 (and the Alpair10SE) are scheduled to be made) we could start to see 3rd parties benefit from the design knowledge that gave us the FEs & FFs (Matsubara-san's spider in the A7 & A12 for instance)

dave

...both drivers. at least it was his 2 yr old and not mine :). just the domes, the rest and foam surrounds look fine. what's the best method to suck these out, or are they knackered? i was thinking a small 1 Hp shop-vac with a slit cut in tape over the hose business end to reduce the suck.

thanks!

We had this problem in my shop years ago. Customers would bring in there small children who thought the domes were buttons.

If you do this carefully, we used to use a small vacuum cleaner and suck the domes back out again. It worked very well and didn't cause any further damage.

David.

excuse my dust cap ignorance, but is it merely a cosmetic issue, and not a sonic one?

only on e-bay ... j/k

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

learned a new trick.

'apple screenshot plus'

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
See:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/93692-my-2-year-old-pushed-dustcaps-my-12-atcs.html

I encourage you to try this below first before resorting to drastic measures such as a pin or vaccum cleaner (or even tape).... it worked like a dream for me a couple of years ago. The trick is to get (or make) a tube very close to the diameter of the dustcap.
PS. I did eventually get around to making grills....a few years too late!

"I've successfully used the centre carboard tube from a roll of paper towel three times now for my 8 inch vifas. (note to self - really must make a grill ). I just placed my mouth over one end, located the other over the dustcup and gently sucked. I think this is pretty much safer than any vacuum cleaner as you have total control over the pressure.There was some very slight marks on the cap where the edge of the dents were but I found that these dissappeared after some time (hours or days, didn't take any notice)Try this first. Find a tube that is a good fit. Simple and safe."

.....and if I was to use a vaccum cleaner, I'd make sure I had the 'drapes' hole open. This is the presure relief hole usually on the handle, that has a cover you can slide open to reveal a hole. This is to allow you to vaccum drapes without sucking them all the way into the nozzle. By slowly closing it you can control the amount of suck.

.....and if I was to use a vaccum cleaner, I'd make sure I had the 'drapes' hole open. This is the presure relief hole usually on the handle, that has a cover you can slide open to reveal a hole. This is to allow you to vaccum drapes without sucking them all the way into the nozzle. By slowly closing it you can control the amount of suck.

Unless they're Bose in which case, it's full on suck.

If you are going to try the vacuum cleaner method you will need a hose attachment that is just slightly larger than the dust cap.

1. With vacuum cleaner OFF, place hose over dustcap and hold against the cone.
Make sure you hold the hose still - and don't press too hard.

2. Turn vacuum ON for a few seconds and turn OFF again
DO NOT remove the hose until the vacuum cleaner has stopped.

3. Look and see if the dustcap has been sucked out.

If it is still pushed in, then repeat but leave the vacuum cleaner ON for a bit longer than the first time.

Did this on my FE167E's that my (then) 2 year old son pushed in.

Cheers,

Alex

PS: IMO Removable grills are a must if you have little kids living with you or visiting!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.