B20 Build Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2010, 03:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default B20 Build Questions

I just built a small set of bookshelf speakers with the Pioneer B20 full range drivers and the 5/8" tweeters recommended in previous posts. I am very happy with the results but I would like a little more low end. I had all but decided to build the transmission line cabinets that Nelson Pass recommended when I stumbled across five Mccauley 6244 15" drivers for a song. I have not purchased them yet but they are available if I am interested. Now I am contemplated turning this "full range" project into what would be essentially a 3-way with an extended midrange driver.

The specs of the Mccauley driver are in PDF format here.

I don't know whether to just build the transmission lines (a proven design) and be done with it or try to incorporate these large drivers.

I do not know how to build a crossover so I guess I would just purchase a prebuilt low pass filter from PE and run the B20 full range.

Any thoughts?
Old 3rd June 2010, 04:32 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Running the numbers on the 6244, you can probably get lower bass out of the B20... just not nearly as much.

dave
Old 3rd June 2010, 04:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I'm actually listening to these B20 bookshelf speakers right now and I am really enjoying their clarity. I wonder if the addition of the McCauley drivers would just confuse the issue.

Hide this!Advertise here!