can't find any replacement surround what now?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't find any replacement surround for my old coax fostex 8". Can anybody help me think of ways to manufacture them myself? I was thinking of using clothe but don't know what glue to use and how to start. I was thinking of using some 8" foam surround that fits the cone but does not fit the spider. Help!!!

I'm not sure what your problem is. You can replace the surround with nearly any out there. You may have to do a little surgery to it to get it to fit properly. The spider is in the center, not near the surround. You need to shim the voice coil before you glue it. I used a glue gun with success. Elmer's works well also.

I'm not sure what your problem is. You can replace the surround with nearly any out there. You may have to do a little surgery to it to get it to fit properly. The spider is in the center, not near the surround. You need to shim the voice coil before you glue it. I used a glue gun with success. Elmer's works well also.

Bob thanks for the reply. My mistake, it is not the spider but rather the frame where the outer part of the surround will be glued on.
I found an 8" foam surround with the inner part of the surround fitting perfectly to the cone but the outer circumference of the surround is too high from the frame and also bigger than the circumference of the frame that it does not touch the round frame of the driver. The original surround is small compared to the available 8" surround.

I have also a 12" Philips full range with cracked cones. Can't find also the cones for these because the original cone is deeper compared to those cones that are available in the market. Got any idea also on how to diy them?

Bob thanks for the reply. My mistake, it is not the spider but rather the frame where the outer part of the surround will be glued on.
I found an 8" foam surround with the inner part of the surround fitting perfectly to the cone but the outer circumference of the surround is too high from the frame and also bigger than the circumference of the frame that it does not touch the round frame of the driver. The original surround is small compared to the available 8" surround.

I have also a 12" Philips full range with cracked cones. Can't find also the cones for these because the original cone is deeper compared to those cones that are available in the market. Got any idea also on how to diy them?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Most paper cones can be patched with cigarette papers.

You can trim the surround that is too large with scissors or a sharp knife. Just take your time and, as the carpenter says, measure twice and cut once.

Sometimes just a few drops of glue can repair a torn cone. But if it's so old it's deteriorating you need a replacement. I have no suggestions on that one.

I would try to replace it with the same type of material (Replace foam with foam, rubber with rubber, etc.). You stated that the outer circumference of the surround is too high from the frame. Could you flip it over?
Thanks for the reply. If I flip it over then the inner circumference of the surround will not fit the cone. I was thinking maybe just use this surround because the inner circumference fits the con (which is very important). I will have to machine or make my self some sort of sim from aluminum or wood with the thickness made to fit the exact height of the foam. The foam will become wider as compared to the older but this might work. I guess with a wider foam the sound will not be as it used to be? What should I expect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.