can't find any replacement surround what now? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2010, 12:11 AM   #1
c3conv is offline c3conv  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default can't find any replacement surround what now?

I can't find any replacement surround for my old coax fostex 8". Can anybody help me think of ways to manufacture them myself? I was thinking of using clothe but don't know what glue to use and how to start. I was thinking of using some 8" foam surround that fits the cone but does not fit the spider. Help!!!
Old 1st June 2010, 02:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure what your problem is. You can replace the surround with nearly any out there. You may have to do a little surgery to it to get it to fit properly. The spider is in the center, not near the surround. You need to shim the voice coil before you glue it. I used a glue gun with success. Elmer's works well also.
Old 1st June 2010, 02:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post
I'm not sure what your problem is. You can replace the surround with nearly any out there. You may have to do a little surgery to it to get it to fit properly. The spider is in the center, not near the surround. You need to shim the voice coil before you glue it. I used a glue gun with success. Elmer's works well also.
Bob thanks for the reply. My mistake, it is not the spider but rather the frame where the outer part of the surround will be glued on.
I found an 8" foam surround with the inner part of the surround fitting perfectly to the cone but the outer circumference of the surround is too high from the frame and also bigger than the circumference of the frame that it does not touch the round frame of the driver. The original surround is small compared to the available 8" surround.

I have also a 12" Philips full range with cracked cones. Can't find also the cones for these because the original cone is deeper compared to those cones that are available in the market. Got any idea also on how to diy them?
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:53 PM   #4
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3conv View Post
Bob thanks for the reply. My mistake, it is not the spider but rather the frame where the outer part of the surround will be glued on.
I found an 8" foam surround with the inner part of the surround fitting perfectly to the cone but the outer circumference of the surround is too high from the frame and also bigger than the circumference of the frame that it does not touch the round frame of the driver. The original surround is small compared to the available 8" surround.

I have also a 12" Philips full range with cracked cones. Can't find also the cones for these because the original cone is deeper compared to those cones that are available in the market. Got any idea also on how to diy them?
A picture is worth a thousand words. Most paper cones can be patched with cigarette papers.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You can trim the surround that is too large with scissors or a sharp knife. Just take your time and, as the carpenter says, measure twice and cut once.

Sometimes just a few drops of glue can repair a torn cone. But if it's so old it's deteriorating you need a replacement. I have no suggestions on that one.
Old 4th June 2010, 04:08 AM   #6
renfrow is offline renfrow  United States
diyAudio Member

You might also try Parts Express. They advertise that they can repair virtually anything.

Tom.
Old 4th June 2010, 03:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Cloth surrounds would be relatively easy to mold if you made a form. I've seen it done with plastic tubing. You would need something like rubber cement to seal the cloth and have it conform to the mold.

SONY APM SPEAKER HOMEPAGE@Repair1(english)
Old 7th June 2010, 02:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Zach View Post
Cloth surrounds would be relatively easy to mold if you made a form. I've seen it done with plastic tubing. You would need something like rubber cement to seal the cloth and have it conform to the mold.

SONY APM SPEAKER HOMEPAGE@Repair1(english)
Those are neat idea. I have to find out how that can be done on a round surround.
Old 8th June 2010, 04:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I don't think it would be much different. I would try doing it the same way, just trace a good circle onto something solid, cut the tubing so it wraps into a circle of the same size, and glue it down.
Old 8th June 2010, 06:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would try to replace it with the same type of material (Replace foam with foam, rubber with rubber, etc.). You stated that the outer circumference of the surround is too high from the frame. Could you flip it over?

Hide this!Advertise here!