replacement for FF165K - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2010, 02:37 PM   #1
rho is offline rho  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default replacement for FF165K

It seems that the Fostex FF165K has been discontinued (at least for Europe).
Is there an ideal replacement for this driver? I was looking at the BK-16 horn as a next project.
The dimensions are right for the small room I have. Maybe a similar design with a 16cm driver with similar performance is an option too.
Old 31st May 2010, 04:37 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rho View Post
It seems that the Fostex FF165K has been discontinued (at least for Europe).
Is there an ideal replacement for this driver? I was looking at the BK-16 horn as a next project.
The dimensions are right for the small room I have. Maybe a similar design with a 16cm driver with similar performance is an option too.

The US supplier, Madisound notes they are reserving existing stock for their BK-16 kits, although they don't indicate inventory dept - so if you were thinking of ordering from them soon, you're probably OK.

If not, then the most likely candidate would be the new FE166En, for which I think some preliminary field measurements / project results may now be available.

While of course they certainly have the right to change product designs without notice, Fostex's ongoing revision to the FE & now FF series will certainly impact DIYers, and most particularly small volume OEMs.

Even if Fostex might consider continued production of certain models (don't hold your breath), the required volumes would probably be beyond the resources of anyone reading or posting to these forums.
Old 31st May 2010, 05:28 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have always considered the FF125/165/225 to be compatible with FExx6e enclosures. As Chris says FE166En is probably your best bet.

But if you are going to the effort to build a horn, you should have a look at the similarily sized RonHorn Austin A166.

dave
Old 1st June 2010, 07:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's no problem getting hold of some FE166En. So that is a good option.

I'm sure the Austin A166 is acoustically a very good design, but aesthetically it doesn't appeal to me that much.
The spawn family appeals to me much more.(aesthetically)
Mikasa and Hiro look interesting.
Harvey looks great, but it seems it doesn't perform as good with the FE126E(n) then with the FE127E. (bass performance)
What's the difference in performance in the mids and highs?

Can the FFxx5Kbe used in these designs?
Old 1st June 2010, 08:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's no problem getting hold of some FE166En. So that is a good option.

I'm sure the Austin A166 is acoustically a very good design, but aesthetically it doesn't appeal to me that much.
The spawn family appeals to me much more.(aesthetically)
Mikasa and Hiro look interesting.
Harvey looks great, but it seems it doesn't perform as good with the FE126E(n) then with the FE127E. (bass performance)
What's the difference in performance in the mids and highs?

Can the FFxx5Kbe used in these designs?

to answer the last question, my instinct is "sure, but not with quite the same degree of dynamics or maximum SPL"
Old 1st June 2010, 09:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
to answer the last question, my instinct is "sure, but not with quite the same degree of dynamics or maximum SPL"

oops - got stuck by the time limit on editing:

meant to say:

"sure, and perhaps smoother through the mids, particularly for nearer field listening, but with not quite the same degree of dynamics or maximums SP"

this observation based on Cain & Cain Abby as well as a couple of DIY designs.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

This may not be a problem in my situation then. The audio-room is quite small.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Depends on the design, but basically the FFxx5K drivers will slot into anything designed for the equivalently sized FExx6E units as Dave says, but, as Chris also mentions, at the price of some dynamic bandwidth.The current FFxx5K drivers are at their best in smaller spaces; Terry Cain for e.g., initially used the FF165K in the Nearfield version of his Abby for it's lower Fs, wider dispersion & a gentler top-end.
Old 2nd June 2010, 01:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Up to what distance can I consider "near field"?
My seat is at about 2.5m from the speakers.
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Up to what distance can I consider "near field"?
My seat is at about 2.5m from the speakers.

To echo what Scott noted above, that's the exact enclosure ( Abby / nearfield) in which I've heard the 165K, and for overall musicality, I quite preferred it to the 206ESR and T90 horn that the same owner had in his stable at the time.

I think your listening distance certainly qualifies for "nearfield" in my lexicon (anything closer than that is probably really desk-top computer monitor territory?). Probably just as significant as your position, is the overall volume of the room.

My buddy Frank, the aforementioned Abby owner, recently moved into a townhouse with a single open plan dining/kitchen/ living "great-room" (well actually not so great for at least 2 speaker systems he tried). Even though his listening position was approx the same as yours above, the size and shape of the space beyond the couch (i.e. behind and to the right side) was such that his delightful sounding, but ultimately underpowered ( for this application) Vaughn Audio Carina SET couldn't get either the Abbys or HornShoppe Horns ( FE126E) to sing as well as in his previous environs. FWIW, he had to "settle" for a pair of small standmounted Pro-Acs and Cary 300B integrated.

Hide this!Advertise here!