replacement for FF165K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems that the Fostex FF165K has been discontinued (at least for Europe).
Is there an ideal replacement for this driver? I was looking at the BK-16 horn as a next project.
The dimensions are right for the small room I have. Maybe a similar design with a 16cm driver with similar performance is an option too.

It seems that the Fostex FF165K has been discontinued (at least for Europe).
Is there an ideal replacement for this driver? I was looking at the BK-16 horn as a next project.
The dimensions are right for the small room I have. Maybe a similar design with a 16cm driver with similar performance is an option too.

The US supplier, Madisound notes they are reserving existing stock for their BK-16 kits, although they don't indicate inventory dept - so if you were thinking of ordering from them soon, you're probably OK.

If not, then the most likely candidate would be the new FE166En, for which I think some preliminary field measurements / project results may now be available.

While of course they certainly have the right to change product designs without notice, Fostex's ongoing revision to the FE & now FF series will certainly impact DIYers, and most particularly small volume OEMs.

Even if Fostex might consider continued production of certain models (don't hold your breath), the required volumes would probably be beyond the resources of anyone reading or posting to these forums.

It's no problem getting hold of some FE166En. So that is a good option.

I'm sure the Austin A166 is acoustically a very good design, but aesthetically it doesn't appeal to me that much.
The spawn family appeals to me much more.(aesthetically)
Mikasa and Hiro look interesting.
Harvey looks great, but it seems it doesn't perform as good with the FE126E(n) then with the FE127E. (bass performance)
What's the difference in performance in the mids and highs?

Can the FFxx5Kbe used in these designs?

It's no problem getting hold of some FE166En. So that is a good option.

I'm sure the Austin A166 is acoustically a very good design, but aesthetically it doesn't appeal to me that much.
The spawn family appeals to me much more.(aesthetically)
Mikasa and Hiro look interesting.
Harvey looks great, but it seems it doesn't perform as good with the FE126E(n) then with the FE127E. (bass performance)
What's the difference in performance in the mids and highs?

Can the FFxx5Kbe used in these designs?

to answer the last question, my instinct is "sure, but not with quite the same degree of dynamics or maximum SPL"

to answer the last question, my instinct is "sure, but not with quite the same degree of dynamics or maximum SPL"

oops - got stuck by the time limit on editing:

meant to say:

"sure, and perhaps smoother through the mids, particularly for nearer field listening, but with not quite the same degree of dynamics or maximums SP"

this observation based on Cain & Cain Abby as well as a couple of DIY designs.

Depends on the design, but basically the FFxx5K drivers will slot into anything designed for the equivalently sized FExx6E units as Dave says, but, as Chris also mentions, at the price of some dynamic bandwidth.The current FFxx5K drivers are at their best in smaller spaces; Terry Cain for e.g., initially used the FF165K in the Nearfield version of his Abby for it's lower Fs, wider dispersion & a gentler top-end.

Up to what distance can I consider "near field"?
My seat is at about 2.5m from the speakers.

To echo what Scott noted above, that's the exact enclosure ( Abby / nearfield) in which I've heard the 165K, and for overall musicality, I quite preferred it to the 206ESR and T90 horn that the same owner had in his stable at the time.

I think your listening distance certainly qualifies for "nearfield" in my lexicon (anything closer than that is probably really desk-top computer monitor territory?). Probably just as significant as your position, is the overall volume of the room.

My buddy Frank, the aforementioned Abby owner, recently moved into a townhouse with a single open plan dining/kitchen/ living "great-room" (well actually not so great for at least 2 speaker systems he tried). Even though his listening position was approx the same as yours above, the size and shape of the space beyond the couch (i.e. behind and to the right side) was such that his delightful sounding, but ultimately underpowered ( for this application) Vaughn Audio Carina SET couldn't get either the Abbys or HornShoppe Horns ( FE126E) to sing as well as in his previous environs. FWIW, he had to "settle" for a pair of small standmounted Pro-Acs and Cary 300B integrated.

So I would better wait for end of summer to decide on the driver. (I have speakers so I can wait)
That gives me time to investigate on the beautiful horn enclosures you guys designed. :)

I hope the FFxxxK series will return with even improved performance. I'm getting the impression I really should look for near-field speakers.
The whole room is rather small so near-fields will be a good option then.

Do those horns from the spawn family perform well in a near-field situation. Maybe the driver does, but those horns aren't really small. Don't they need some room and a bigger listening distance?

So I would better wait for end of summer to decide on the driver. (I have speakers so I can wait)
That gives me time to investigate on the beautiful horn enclosures you guys designed. :)

I hope the FFxxxK series will return with even improved performance. I'm getting the impression I really should look for near-field speakers.
The whole room is rather small so near-fields will be a good option then.

Do those horns from the spawn family perform well in a near-field situation. Maybe the driver does, but those horns aren't really small. Don't they need some room and a bigger listening distance?

I think you answered your own question - if you're talking about the same 2.5M listening distance, you'd probably be ahead of the "sweet spot"

And BTW, as I think Scott can attest from the recent EggFest - the little FF85K is more than capable of not just turning heads, but actually sounding quite musical in even larger rooms than I think you're talking about. The only downside of course is sensitivity (15-20W a nice starting point) and need for bottom end assistance. (pesky laws of physics)

Last edited:
That made me think.

I've seen a design with the FF85K and some woofer in a really compact bookshelf type enclosure.
I would like to stay with Fostex.
The FW208N seems to work in a 25L BR enclosure.
How about a combination with the FF85K, sealed?
The total volume of the box will certainly be acceptable. It will have low end like no horn will give me in my situation. And it will have a nice Fostex FR covering the majority of the audible spectrum.
Maybe someone already did this?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tysen could be reconfiguted into a bookshelf. It has the SDX7 in 17 litre sealed, but will work in as little as 3.5 litre (in theory).

miniTys3D.gif

discussion on that one starts near post 30 in the Tysen thread.

Someone also posted the FF85/Scanspeak attached.

Almost any reasonable midbass will work. The Fostex base drivers are good, but there are many with better bang for the buck.

Our next FF85 project will use 2 Mark Audio #6 woofers (CSS EL166)

dave

That's a nice design. :)
It doesn't have to be this small tho. I can spend the 25L the Fostex works well in. No problem.
I'm looking at the Fostex woofer because it was tested by a German DIY audio magazine. According to them it's about the best 8" woofer they measured. (easy to implement, wide bandwidth for a woofer, low distortion, small BR enclosure width great bass extension and a very good horn driver)
I know the SDX7. It surely is a very good driver too. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.