replacement for FF165K - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2010, 09:00 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

As Chris says, it doesn't really matter. That's just what Terry called that particular model, & essentially, he just meant it was for smaller spaces and listening distances.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:54 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Love Cary gear. Also love the 165k. Those in BIBs connected to a Cary amp is a very musical combo in my small listening room.
Old 3rd June 2010, 02:00 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I just heard from my source. All FF were cut with no warning. What exists is only what is in distribution. End summer, early fall estimated for the replacements.

Anyone wants stock FF85K they better grab em. Madisound has no FF125, looks like some FF225

dave
Old 3rd June 2010, 08:54 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Roight. So that's the FF's gone too. Wonder if this is the first stage in a further revamp of the range.

The loss of the 85 is a real shame though.
Old 3rd June 2010, 07:01 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

>>> Wonder if this is the first stage in a further revamp of the range.

I hope they don't do what Dynaudio did to diy'ers years ago. I can't believe all three pair of Fostex i own are discontinued! Because of their large selection Fostex makes diy so much more interesting.
Old 3rd June 2010, 07:23 PM   #16
rho is offline rho  Belgium
diyAudio Member

So I would better wait for end of summer to decide on the driver. (I have speakers so I can wait)
That gives me time to investigate on the beautiful horn enclosures you guys designed.

I hope the FFxxxK series will return with even improved performance. I'm getting the impression I really should look for near-field speakers.
The whole room is rather small so near-fields will be a good option then.

Do those horns from the spawn family perform well in a near-field situation. Maybe the driver does, but those horns aren't really small. Don't they need some room and a bigger listening distance?
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:54 PM   #17
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rho View Post
So I would better wait for end of summer to decide on the driver. (I have speakers so I can wait)
That gives me time to investigate on the beautiful horn enclosures you guys designed.

I hope the FFxxxK series will return with even improved performance. I'm getting the impression I really should look for near-field speakers.
The whole room is rather small so near-fields will be a good option then.

Do those horns from the spawn family perform well in a near-field situation. Maybe the driver does, but those horns aren't really small. Don't they need some room and a bigger listening distance?

I think you answered your own question - if you're talking about the same 2.5M listening distance, you'd probably be ahead of the "sweet spot"

And BTW, as I think Scott can attest from the recent EggFest - the little FF85K is more than capable of not just turning heads, but actually sounding quite musical in even larger rooms than I think you're talking about. The only downside of course is sensitivity (15-20W a nice starting point) and need for bottom end assistance. (pesky laws of physics)

Last edited by chrisb; 3rd June 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 4th June 2010, 06:23 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

That made me think.

I've seen a design with the FF85K and some woofer in a really compact bookshelf type enclosure.
I would like to stay with Fostex.
The FW208N seems to work in a 25L BR enclosure.
How about a combination with the FF85K, sealed?
The total volume of the box will certainly be acceptable. It will have low end like no horn will give me in my situation. And it will have a nice Fostex FR covering the majority of the audible spectrum.
Maybe someone already did this?
Old 4th June 2010, 06:43 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Tysen could be reconfiguted into a bookshelf. It has the SDX7 in 17 litre sealed, but will work in as little as 3.5 litre (in theory).

Click the image to open in full size.

discussion on that one starts near post 30 in the Tysen thread.

Someone also posted the FF85/Scanspeak attached.

Almost any reasonable midbass will work. The Fostex base drivers are good, but there are many with better bang for the buck.

Our next FF85 project will use 2 Mark Audio #6 woofers (CSS EL166)

dave
Old 4th June 2010, 07:04 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

That's a nice design.
It doesn't have to be this small tho. I can spend the 25L the Fostex works well in. No problem.
I'm looking at the Fostex woofer because it was tested by a German DIY audio magazine. According to them it's about the best 8" woofer they measured. (easy to implement, wide bandwidth for a woofer, low distortion, small BR enclosure width great bass extension and a very good horn driver)
I know the SDX7. It surely is a very good driver too. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Hide this!Advertise here!