Bushhorn MK1 plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi people! I was thinking to try to build Bushhorn MK1 enclosures for Fostex FE126En drivers. Reading comments on this kind of project it seems to work fine, and are not so big because I've no so much room to place them. Do anyone has plans for them or for similar enclosures?

Thansk in advance to all.

Z.

Ziocalepino,

From my own listening experience to them going some years back now, the B-Horn is no contender to the F-Horn, even Level- 0 as P-10 has advised is steps above that design. The F-Horn is still quite small actually, so depending on how you can arrange your room they should work fine, you'll need to use your room corners though.. Going for the higher level builds of the F-Horn is certainly a worthwhile investment over Level-0..

Rumor has it that a new F-Horn version is coming down the pike sometime that might be worth waiting for instead, but they are supposed to be a bit bigger over the original version, so that may affect your decision considering your space constraints.

If you can fit them into your listening space, Ron's A-126 Horn is certainly a very good option for that driver too, and is still another step up the ladder over the F-Horn in my opinion, and the one I would pick fwiw... :cool:

Last edited:
Perhaps then it might be worth the wait to see about the new F-Horn that has been talked about.. I think it's suppose to be an even easier build over the original F-Horn, so that could be a really good thing for sure:cool:..

Don't know if you're into the OB approach, but that method as far as the construction goes is sure pretty simple for those of us with limited build skills.. You also have the BIB cab which is very easy to construct, and although tall has a small footprint. You'd want to go inverted for the 126, I think P-10's site has an inverted version or Godzilla's site..

We all have different tastes and opinions, but from the Cabs discussed so far, this is my personal opinion from best to last. Also I've never heard an OB so cannot comment:

#1 Ron's A-126
#2 Inverted BIB (for ease of construction, but a trade off of some finesse for more low end)
#3 The top level F-Horn
#4 B-Horn

That's all I have to contribute to this thread and will step aside so others can advise on their opinions. Personally if you're not in a hurry, it may be a good idea to wait and see what the new F-Horn will be all about etc..

Happy listening :)

Last edited:
Wait for news is a good idea. My experience on DIY is limited to these 2 projects, in chronological and difficult order:

1/ standard bass reflex for Fostex FE126En, simply a prism with a couple of holes. Useful for acquiring practice with electrical tools, poor sound in my opinion.

2/ Backloaded horn for Fostex Fe166En, 31 pieces each enclosure, with labyrinth, many many dowels and glue, no one screw. This is a serious project, both for handworking and for results. I'm using right now hearing Metheny with a PopPulse amplifier. I'm very satisfied by them.

Both plans are the original Fostex' given into drivers boxes.

Now I would like to try back loaded solution also for littlest 126En, possibly going away from Fostex' ideas, even if there are many plans similar to that.

This is my brief DIY story, I've started last Febraury...

Attachments

• monovia_p.jpg
    monovia_p.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 323
  • monovia1.jpg
    monovia1.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 289
Okay one last reply lol, I feel like I'm hogging with too many posts:eek:

My opinion again fwiw: Even though Fostex makes their own drivers, and some very good ones I might add, pretty much any cab design by Dave P-10, Scott, GM, Martin, Pass, Ron, etc etc is going to be a much more worthy effort than bothering with most all the Fostex designed cabs, so you'll definitely be heading into better sq territory (my opinion)

Also, even though I stand firm that it's not so good to have a speaker cab that presents the fullrange driver at a low plane as to ear level, and think it's always better to default to a higher driver height over lower, your cabs are way up high:Ohno:

I see your also a guitar player:cool: I would definitely change and/or rearrange your entertainment area to get the cabs on the floor and some room to breath if at all possible..

K, no more opinions from me lol... Happy listening, and I'm sure you would enjoy any of the contributions from some of those people stated above, over the stock Fostex cabs most definitely!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.