half changin' with the Rola 8MX - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2010, 03:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default half changin' with the Rola 8MX

ok, so I have a few of these elderly not-such-great-spec ROLA (Plessey) 8 inch paper cone speakers with whizzer.

I also have 2 factory designs for a slot-vented 1.5 or 2 cubic ft box.

As I understand it, the chang was a similar situation - a design developed from an older slot vent box design.

If I maintain the same box volume, and follow a generic half chang layout am I heading in the right direction, and are there any watchouts on the trip?

I figure I'm only up for around $20 of materials, so an experiment for a wet weekend...
Old 29th May 2010, 06:18 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
As I understand it, the chang was a similar situation - a design developed from an older slot vent box design.
Not really. Scott crossed a Big Vent Reflex with a Fonken and got Calhoun... then he went nuts when it was shown to work really well.

dave
Old 29th May 2010, 07:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks Dave - I knew you or Scott would be in to straighten out my antipodean thinking...

Nonetheless - am I miles wide of the mark?
Old 29th May 2010, 09:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Without any measurements of the drivers, can't really pass much in the way of comments, other than noting that a lot of trad. BR loads were generalised for maximum efficiency at Fb, & then needed a fair bit of empirical adjustment to dial in. You might give them a shot in the Chang cabinet itself; Vb isn't too far off the 1.5ft^3 box you say you have plans for, so it'll probably work as well in that as anything based on the available information.
Old 29th May 2010, 10:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks guys - can't ask for a lot more than that given the guesswork nature of the request!
Old 4th December 2011, 06:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

gday mate do you still have the old rola 8 inch speakers ???? i have an old valve amp and it was runnign an 8 inch rola speaker in it anthe idiot i bought it off threw the speaker away (((
Geoff

Hide this!Advertise here!