Scan-Speak 4 inch wideband - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2010, 10:47 PM   #1
Defo is offline Defo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Scan-Speak 4 inch wideband

Anyone have any experience with this Scan-Speak "wideband" driver? Seems very linear, unlike most other full range's.

Would maybe work in a horn/waveguide?
Old 27th May 2010, 10:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

For 'seems very linear', read 'heavily smoothed FR graph.' If something looks too good to be true, it is. Which isn't to suggest it's a bad driver, just that it's extremely unlikely to be any 'better' (whatever that means) in this particular respect than any other.

Anyway, yes, it will work in a horn or waveguide. That's no big deal; pretty much any driver will work in a horn or waveguide, assuming it's designed properly.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 27th May 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Doesnt look that smoothed too me, with all those wrinkles. If there would be any serious peaks, it would show, even on a more smoothed graph

Only downside as I see it, is a bit low sensitivity.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Read my MPL thread. I have the Scan Speak in a simple open baffle with subwoofer and it works very well.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Read my MPL thread. I have the Scan Speak in a simple open baffle with subwoofer and it works very well.
Thats just great! With measurements and everything Seems to extend higher then the manufacturer graph too. I compared the 4 and 8 ohm versions and the latter seems to have a more extended high end, and quite different ts-parameters. Why is that?
Old 28th May 2010, 12:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

When you change the voicecoil, everything changes. The higher impedance voicecoil may see a comparatively lower inductance and that may be the difference in extention.
A 4 Ohm voicecoil has also higher mass usually but may fill the gap better. I have so far only experience with the 4 Ohm version and treble extension is just fine. More treble could not hurt and you can adjust the balance by angling the speakers more in, so that they cross before your ears. That also helps to smouth the whole trend. I use no crossover and tonal balnce is just right. So far the best commercial little wideband i heard and measured.
Old 28th May 2010, 02:25 AM   #7
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Most discussion here:

Vance Dickason tested new SS 10F - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com

Try post #9, on the evaluation of this driver.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Doesnt look that smoothed too me, with all those wrinkles. If there would be any serious peaks, it would show, even on a more smoothed graph.
I wouldn't bet on it. This is what raw data looks like:

Most manufacturers are economical with the truth with their published FR plots. Smoothing can be anything from minimal to 1/2 octave or more (and they very rarely tell you how much). Another slightly more subtle favourite, is to expand the dynamic range on the chart to a huge value. Then they can play around with the resolution of the data sheet & size of the image... lots of lovely ways there. Some are better than others, but ROT is don't take them at face value; about all they're good for is assessing general trends.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Driver.GIF (34.4 KB, 532 views)
Old 28th May 2010, 01:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttan98 View Post
Most discussion here:

Vance Dickason tested new SS 10F - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com

Try post #9, on the evaluation of this driver.
Thanks for the measurements. I would love to compare them to some of the Fostex drivers. Even tho the SS is way more linear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I wouldn't bet on it. This is what raw data looks like:

Most manufacturers are economical with the truth with their published FR plots. Smoothing can be anything from minimal to 1/2 octave or more (and they very rarely tell you how much). Another slightly more subtle favourite, is to expand the dynamic range on the chart to a huge value. Then they can play around with the resolution of the data sheet & size of the image... lots of lovely ways there. Some are better than others, but ROT is don't take them at face value; about all they're good for is assessing general trends.
I will take a smoothed graph over that graph anyday. One isnt able to hear all those tiny peaks and dips anyway. Tonal balance is what matters, at least to me
Old 28th May 2010, 01:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am surprised about the loss in high frequency response. My sample measures much better in this regard.

Hide this!Advertise here!