Fostex fe108 eSigma in OB ?'s - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2010, 05:07 PM   #11
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixy View Post
I use the FE108EZ's in the MJK open baffle design. They sound pretty good to my ears although I haven't tryed any other drivers to compare. I did have to pad them down a bit though.

I'm using a passive crossover although if I did it again I'd probably go active, as the bass, whilst reasonably good, still leaves a bit to be desired.

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looking at these OB's again, I was thinking; Rather than mess up the clean look of the flat front of the baffle by adding the front half of an H-frame, could an open box be added only onto the back of the woofer section instead, to provide more low end benefit whilst still retaining all that is enjoyed from the OB low's?
Old 23rd May 2010, 05:34 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

No reason why not; in fact IIRC, that's what is assumed in MJK's U-frame sheet. Not quite the same thing, but they still work well if done right.
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCan View Post
Serenechaos, do you think you may revisit an OB style cab again someday?, or if not, maybe you could say how they were lacking for your ears, room, application etc.
No, I didn't like the OB effect.
I read of many people that did like them, and thought I'd try them; did w/ several drivers & rooms, then heard many more (linkwitz, etc) @ RMAF the last few years.
I don't like the way that out of phase, delayed wave looses detail, blurs the sound, "muddys" things up as my wife says, even in well damped rooms.
Just our ears, many seem to like them, and they are an easy build.

I just posted because although while I didn't the 108s in OBs,
I did like 108s in OBs better than any other drivers i tried.

If I were to try OB again it would be w/ 10" Tannoy Reds.
They have a really nice tone just sitting on the floor.
Old 24th May 2010, 01:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Just wondered if you are aware of the thread "New MJK Open Bafffle Article". LOts of good stuff in there, and I have a contribution starting at post #479:
New MJK Baffle Article

It seemed only logical to use Martin's U-Frame ideas to improve the bass on this simple OB.

Cheers, Jim
Old 25th May 2010, 04:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Scott, thanks for the pointer I didn't think of it that way, what I was saying is basically the U baffle approach, makes sense to me now

Serenechaos, good to read your impressions and thanks for sharing.. Neat to see that you enjoyed the 108's compared to others etc..

Jim, nice project!! Looks good and thanks for pointing me to the link..

For a stupidly simple project (we are talking me after all lol), what do you guys think if I just run my 108's on a OB like Jim's or Wixy's style, and leave them unfiltered as they are now and always have been in my BIB's? I only have a few nice clean watts on tap and don't listen real loud or anything. Then I would run the woofers (probably the Alpha's) paralleled to my Reckhorn mono sub amp, and play with the sub amp filters as required to achieve a nice sq? I guess I'm wondering if I really need to high pass the 108's still to keep them from smoking?
Old 25th May 2010, 05:04 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...what do you guys think if I just run my 108's on a OB like Jim's or Wixy's style, and leave them unfiltered as they are now and always have been in my BIB's?
I only have a few nice clean watts on tap and don't listen real loud or anything. Then I would run the woofers (probably the Alpha's) paralleled to my Reckhorn mono sub amp, and play with the sub amp filters as required to achieve a nice sq? I guess I'm wondering if I really need to high pass the 108's still to keep them from smoking?
That's all I did; was enough to see if you like them / or can't stand them.
Old 25th May 2010, 06:31 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

>>> the 108 seems to almost be forgotten since all the 126 hype started some years back.. The 108 e sigma is a really nice sounding driver unmolested even, and they get better as the hours work on them...

I wish i bought a pair of 108s when they were selling cheaply from Ed when he began using the also great 126.

Even tho i am enjoying OB sound at the moment my BIBs have not been dismantled. I look forward to enjoying them again in the future.

Also, i think the H-frames in my room offered more room filling bass than the OB alone... although neither is lacking bass LOL. The H-frames FILLED the room with bass and could be overwhelming at times. The best bass i ever heard in my room was with the H-frames.

Godzilla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB-Boom.jpg (53.3 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Boomer9.jpg (43.7 KB, 287 views)
Old 25th May 2010, 06:49 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Agreed, would have been nice to have gotten a pair of 108s for spares back when Ed was letting them go so cheap!
And after a lengthy run-in, I like them much better than painted 126s.

I don't know why the Swans haven't caught on though.
Maybe just a preference thing, but they're the only single driver I've kept any amount of time, I like them far better than bibs, or OBs (regardless of drivers).
Although like OBs, I sometimes use them w/ a ribbon crossed @ ~10K, and/or tapped horns coming in around 60Hz.
You can't hear the tapped horns unless you unplug them, very seamless, and everything can run off the same amp.
Old 25th May 2010, 07:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Guess where I got my 108's Yep, from Ed's blow out sale a few years back at a nice fair price..

Jeff, nice to hear about those H-frames! Sounds like a worthy experiment, and the drivers are certainly reasonable in price to get on board with and try out for size.. I also plan on keeping my BIB's around.. They are the first diy build I had done other than a few sub's, and proved that a lot of good sound can come from a very simple build ("disclaimer"- that is after all you guys had worked out the dims, I just built the dang things).. They may not be perfection to the 9th degree but have provided me with many hours floating on the music (no intoxicants even lol)

Serenechaos, I wonder if an experiment for you could be to try the OB approach as before, but add a few thick layers of say acoustical batting insulation over the back of the drivers to absorb some sound.. It would still be OB, but perhaps that could settle some of the frequencies bouncing around that offend the sq to you? I've read before that your not a fan of OB and thought about that idea but never thought to state it till now.. I've never heard an OB myself so I cannot comment, but seems like a fun experiment to try and I've already got most of the parts etc.. I think if the same happens to me as with you and your wife after listening to them, I may try some type of absorbing trick while still basically keeping it an OB type approach, then if still a no go at least it wasn't a pricey gamble and worth the learning and experience etc..

Last edited by DaveCan; 25th May 2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:21 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Guess where I got my 108's Yep, from Ed's blow out sale a few years back at a nice fair price..
I got 3 sets that way -- but 2 of the sets needed to have dustcap ectomies, one because it was damaged, the other because we needed to excise a botched Ed experiment. Still got to EnABL one of those sets and flog them cheap.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!