Tang Band W5-1685 BIB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• w5-1685 BiB.gif
    w5-1685 BiB.gif
    29.3 KB · Views: 514
I wouldn't be the guy to talk you out of this, so I have to ask: did you build them? If so, how do they sound.
I've built two sets of BiBs, a set of fonkens and a set of half changs; I like the less ordinary builds. My "prettiest" BiBs don't sound good, so I'm thinking I'd like to pull the driver, a Tang Band W4-657SH, and replace it with a Mark Audio CHR-70 (the BiBs are pretty close in size according to Zilla's calculator).
Mike

You will need room inside the BIB for the magnet on that TB. Measure twice and build once. What kind of tweeter are you thinking about using?

Godzilla

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the info. I was thinking I won't need a tweeter, but if I do, I'll probably add a piezo and play around with its placement. Any suggestions? Have you heard anything about anyone using CHR 70 in a BiB?
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
You'll certainly need a tweeter on the TB, above all for off-axis performance; that massive surround will make the off-axis power-response dodgy at best, especially in the HF; in practice I suspect they'll be falling off a cliff above 10KHz or so. TB themselves class it as a midbass, not an FR, although you should be able to cross higher than most midbass units, which is a good thing.

Did not end up building these. My SO and I moved to a new house with polished hardwood floors in the living room. So now i have been advised that everything that looks like a speaker or a T.V. needs to be up off the floor and wall mounted. Apparently she likes looking at as much of the pretty shiny floor as possible. I noticed that Dan Archer (Mark Audio Dealer for Australia..) now has stock of the Gen II chr70's so it looks like i will be doing a full set (7) of sealed wall mounts + subs using those. Still waiting for an authorised funds release for the project however...

G.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.