elliptic loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

who of you knows who produces and where to find a very good elliptic loudspeaker at a competitive price? Its dimensions could be roughly 10x15 cm (4"x6") max. Competitive price means some bucks, not more than 8-10.

Many thanks in advance for your help and support

Milo

Many thanks Dave, but I'd like, if possible, to find one or more manufacturers, since I need large quantities of them, not just one or few. My question was more related to know which of these speakers work well, so eliminating the need to do a long screening. If you could help me in such screening, I thank you a lot in advance and we'll drink a beer if you come one day to visit me in Italy :)

Milo

.. very good elliptic loudspeaker at a competitive price? Its dimensions could be roughly 10x15 cm (4"x6") max. Competitive price means some bucks, not more than 8-10.
Small oval speakers tend to be discontinued by manufacturers.

In the 2009 Monacor Catalog, we had :

- CRB-3000CP (15x22cm, carbon membrane, rubber surround)
- CRB-915CP (10x15cm, carbon membrane, rubber surround)
- CRB-3000PP (15x22cm, polypropylene membrane, foam surround)
- CRB-915PP (10x15cm, polypropylene membrane, foam surround)

But I have a difficulty finding them on the Monacor website.
MONACOR INTERNATIONAL:Home
If you can find these, please let me know.

If those Monacor CRB-3000 and CRB-915 series are not anymore available, I think we'll deeply miss them.

Seems that US Blaster speakers are no more to be found.
US Blaster - Products - Car Audio - Speaker Sets - 6x9 - 4 way - yellow
Large, qualitative, and surprisingly inexpensive.

Focal has the 570 CA1 model, black fiberglass and butyl surround, it is maybe too large with 13x18cm, and the price looks crazy high.
http://www.focal-fr.com/

Regards,
Steph

Last edited:
Thank you Steph for your support. I contacted Monacor branch office in Italy and asked if the speakers you indicated are still available or not more available.

Re other brands, I think or the dimensions or the price don't let me use them.

Thanks again

Milo

Most if not all drivers shown here are oval and probably their sound do not differ much form a circular driver :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An elliptical driver is a quite different kind of beast, maybe not pure high fidelity, but with an appealing sound :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is what I remember from my beginnings in audio reproduction and one of my current projects is to build decent boxes for Grundig elliptical drivers (Qts about 1.0) extracted from an old TV set, just to hear what was the sonic potential of what we use to hear in the good old days.

I made LTspiceIV simulations for various Tangband oval speakers. Including a satellite + subwoofer combination using active filtering. Interesting results. See attached .zip.

Attachments

• Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers.jpg
    Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 273
  • Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers (Bode plot).jpg
    Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers (Bode plot).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 265
Updated and optimized LTspiceIV simulation results for a 2.1 or 2.2 active speaker system bi-amplified with a simple active crossover. Interesting results. See attached .zip.

Attachments

• Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers optimized.jpg
    Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers optimized.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers optimized (Bode plot).jpg
    Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers optimized (Bode plot).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers.zip
    172.4 KB · Views: 31
personally im disapointed in the lack of GOOD elliptical drivers out there. Hifi never seems to have gotten over the 'cheap' image of ellipticals.....pity really since they dont suffer to the same extent as 'conventional' drivers, with cone quadrant resonance(or whatever the real term is called) or the dreaded bell modes...

New optimization using LTspiceIV simulation. Subwoofer acoustic response is now a flat top bandpass. Satellite high-pass filter is now more efficient. Overall response delivers 45Hz at -3dB. Nice and clean. Next stage will be sketching the box volumes (are the volumes practical ?) and the vent size (is the vent size practical ?)

Attachments

• Tangband W35-1315SE BR 1200µ - W46-1316E BP 800µ 225µ.jpg
    Tangband W35-1315SE BR 1200µ - W46-1316E BP 800µ 225µ.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Tangband W35-1315SE BR 1200µ - W46-1316E BP 800µ 225µ (Bode plot).jpg
    Tangband W35-1315SE BR 1200µ - W46-1316E BP 800µ 225µ (Bode plot).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Tangband W35 W46 oval speakers.zip
    167.2 KB · Views: 24
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.