(Inspired by Ron) ibR 108 horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built the loudspeakers together with leonidas and now they're at my room. It wasn't even so hard to build them. I mean, if a girl from 13 years old can build them, it can't be that hard, can it?
It was the first pair of loudspeakers I've ever built, and it turned out well.

And most important of all, they sound great. The lower sounds like the bass are reproduced really well. They don't sound sharp in the high, actually they're just perfect. I would recommend these to everybody who listens to music.
They're great!

Is that you in the picture in post #1?

Being a girl shouln't mean you are any less skilled (nice to see more females around here thou), but being 13 and getting it done is a really good achievement. Bravo.

dave

Yes, that's me in the photo. I didn't mean that I am less skilled by saying that I'm a girl. But thanks. It was pretty nice to hear something you've built by yourself for the first time :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It was pretty nice to hear something you've built by yourself for the first time :D

Your build is certainly much more impressive than the ones i made when i was 12 and i was pretty pleased with them (and amazed that my dad didn't get mad as i had disassembled his all-in-one "hifi" to repackage the parts. 30+ years later i completely rebuilt the amplifier.

5B_fr_size.jpg

Keep it up who knows where you will go :D

dave

fronthorn update

to Dragona : Hello, nice to see you over here.
You build the concerti 108 clone , not the ibR108horn.
When I see people's reactions upon your build, you should try to go to the "chip-amp"part of this forum and try to get some help in building an LM1875 "gainclone. Most of the listening was done on these.
Take Arian and Cédric on the journey as well!!

About the update ;
The ibR108 has over 200hours play time.
And , at this stage, I decided on a fronthorn to get rid of the 1000 Hz hole.
The "cornu" spiral horns from Germany do the same.
You can order the parts for their horns over there and it will set you back about 112 euro (ex. transport).

I found another solution, maybe not as effective but a lot cheaper (12 euro).
See the pictures .

Attachments

• fronthorn_a.jpg
    fronthorn_a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Fronthorn-L.JPG
    Fronthorn-L.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 232
I did a lot of listening to the new updated ibR108's and came to the same conclusions as Daniël Ciesinger (Cornu) did ;
better imaging, warmer sounding and more bass!!
I use the speakers now free-standing with a little bsg.
Also , in case of the cornu : the horns hang in front of the speaker, I think.
I my case I use 4 screw holes to mount the FE108EZ and the other four holes ( with longer screws ) to mount the front horn.
See pics.

Attachments

• fronthorn_b.jpg
    fronthorn_b.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 227
  • ibR108frh1.JPG
    ibR108frh1.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 233
  • ibR108frh2.JPG
    ibR108frh2.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 103
Last pic , for the moment.
This shows the side view.
On top ; the bsc .
Going to work on some kind of deflector on the backside and some feet on the front; they are a bit front-heavy!! but stay well on the spot without disturbing them.

Difficult to say what's happening, best way to say it :

Without the fronthorns they sound like a little speaker trying to sound big, now they sound like a big speaker playing not to loud.

I like them more and more and compared to my lowther dx3 on open baffle they have their own charme !! and they even do some music more pleasant!!

Attachments

• ibR108frh3 side.JPG
    ibR108frh3 side.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 114
At last ; I put some paint on them.

My latest changes :
- some solid hardwood as a base.
-some white paint, on TiO - base.

Eye-catchers??

gr. Leon

Attachments

• P1000327.JPG
    P1000327.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 172
  • P1000326.JPG
    P1000326.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 177
  • P1000325.JPG
    P1000325.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 179
  • P1000328.JPG
    P1000328.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 162
  • P1000329.JPG
    P1000329.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 155
  • P1000330.JPG
    P1000330.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.