Boston VR965 speaker problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really like these speakers, but lately one of them periodically won't power up when I turn on the stereo. If I remove the audio jack, it seems to be a high enough level signal to get it going. Does anyone have any advice.... or possibly a service manual for me to troubleshoot the problem? Thanks in advance.

Is this a self powered speaker?

Can you get the other speaker to work w/ the output of the problem channel?

Are there fuses on the speaker which might have blown?

Can you open the speaker and check to see if the driver(s) work? If drivers are OK, then it's probably the XO.

Just a few random thoughts...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Is this a self powered speaker?

Can you get the other speaker to work w/ the output of the problem channel?

Are there fuses on the speaker which might have blown?

Can you open the speaker and check to see if the driver(s) work? If drivers are OK, then it's probably the XO.

Just a few random thoughts...

Good luck!

quite right Jim, this might not be the best forum for solution to this particular issue

Boston is not the only guilty party: like way too many mainstream manufacturers of powered speaker systems (subs and mains), one of the shortcomings that dealers' repair departments have been finding is the poor thermal dissipation and vibration isolation design considerations on the integrate amplifier modules. All sorts of failure modes ensue - from intermittent failure of auto-on function, to total thermal overload of power supply.

Outside of the speaker enclosures, these modules could be expected to last decades, but when subjected to the rather punishing conditions inside a multi-driver system, the reliability of many of these amplifiers has become a nightmare for dealer's service departments - frequently there is no infrastructure for field service at all - just replacement of the entire module - if available.

That said, I'd suggest you contact Boston directly:

Contact Us - Service & Support - Boston Acoustics - Speakers, Home Theater, Mobile Audio, Sound Systems and More

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.