Karlson coupler for Nirvana super 10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
here's a Nirvana super 10 in a Karlson X15 copy - 28" high, 14" deep, 19.25" wide - seems to play well - I'll have to give it an extended listen with various genre - it does a nice drum with Ondekoza's "Devils On Drums" at ~1/16" peak to peak excursion - (I'll have to make sure to cover the apertures on the couplers not hooked up - they play very well and smooth in sympathetic mode)

I also have another Super 10 in a 42Hz tuned 80 liter bass reflex - the sounds of the reflex including midrange and highs are very poor compared to the Karlson and it has way too much excursion while producing no useful "bass" - part of that is due to the 42hz tuning vs a real-world fs of around 50Hz.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
What is that best/proper orientation for coaxial slot horn in a Karlson?
Didn't Karlson recommend a vertical orientation for that style horn?

Do we want wide horizontal dispersion from a direct radiating vertical horn mouth?
Or narrow horizontal dispersion as shown, to better illuminate the slot between the
wings? Which slot dominates HF directivity, direct or indirect radiating?

Mine looked nice too, before the veneer peeled off. Home Despot quality...
This photo was also a debut for bolt-on wings. I now believe a removable
bottom would have made more sense...

Attachments

• k15frnt.jpg
    k15frnt.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Sweet ! - give that coax a 90 degree turn and see if you like it better. 15TRX/615HC should be awesome and sound wonderful on things such as Gary Karr's bowed bass. Some shellac in the front chamber might help too.

yeah - other than experimenting with different wing flare and starting gaps, fixed wings could have better integrity

high aspect K8 - - - factory K12 with 109 oz magnet Eminence
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

btw - I'm looking for some kutter services - not enough K's yet for me

John Lapaire takes his home K15 out for live band duty at times

Last edited:
Horns were supposed to be oriented vertically as recommended by Karlson. OTOH, the true orientation of the EV T-35 on a baffle should be vertical as well, so does that mean that horizontal is the actual way to go if used in Karlson?

You built a nice Karlson Kenpeter, I don't remember seeing it much before. I use removeable wings with the same type of bolts on my K5, SK8 and K12, works pretty well, but needs more bracing on K12. The little SK8 gets away with no wing bracing being built out of 0.75" BB-ply.

A K-Tube on top for treble duty is great as well for a mono system if one does not have a coaxial driver to use, as dispersion is wide and it creates a nice and big soundfield.

IG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.