Audio Nirvana Super 8's, any cab designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I purchased a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 8's only to find that are essentially no speaker cabinet designed for these speakers.:eek:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I wanted to build a set of Half-Changs but found that a DiyAudio member who built a set and attempted to use the Super 8's found they were a poor match.

I am completely open to any style of cabinets. Any and all suggestions are deeply appreciated.:eek:

Thanks
Steve Hebert
Allen, TX

Maybe see if you can twist Tom's arm and get the plans for his Model One out of him? I think he designed them with this specific driver in mind. By some strange stroke of luck, I'm listening to his prototypes as I type this. Although they won't swallow the same obscene wattage as my Chorus, they seem to keep up (or excel) in most other respects. Certainly worth a try...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/96217-model-1-a.html

Of course, there is always the stock CommonSense Audio cabinet designs. They'll send you a set of plans for free when you order a pair of their drivers. I think I asked about the 5.6, and they suggested the eight inch driver didn't have enough displacement to do it justice. It'll work, but they implied I'd be better off with 2.8 instead. Go to their site, and scroll to about mid way to see finished designs.

Audio Nirvana Full-Range Speakers For Sale. High Efficiency, DIY, Single Driver, Monitor Speakers with no crossover.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You can try some voight pipes for these as well or a BiB. They seem to be highly tolerant of driver properties... i mean as long it is low Q, low mass. I tried them in such a cabinet, worked very well. They are very nice drivers for the price.

The BiB page, don't have the link, has cabinet dimensions for this driver. They are also a good excuse to go open baffle, but you a woofer down below.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
David Dicks doesn't believe that T/S are useful for designing boxes (or something like that). A local had AN 10 in the standard 5.2 (?) box -- can't recall the details. A big hole in the box (ie something like 5" D, 3/4" long. Used measure data. Had him put a 6" (?) long port in. Got WAY better

dave

I built a cabinet for the super 8 cast frame. It is a TL designed by Scottmoose. I believe I have the details on my website.
I also have a pair of FE207s. I've been listening to the ANs for a while and this summer will be listening to the FE207s. I must say the ANs seem to be a little picky about what amp they use. At the diy Atlanta meet we tried 2 amps and then went back to the miniwatt (which I had heard with ra7, where I listened to his ANs). It definitely likes the miniwatt and I think it likes the Nuforce Icon, but it surely did not like the NAD we listened to in Atlanta.

Josh

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello,

look my double horns:
SAXOPHON
RDH20

or the sats :
SCHALMEI
TRUMPET
HORN

all available for the AN8" family.

Attachments

• saxfront1nirvana.jpg
    saxfront1nirvana.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 725
  • rdh20 vornAweb.jpg
    rdh20 vornAweb.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 723
  • Schalmeisat1.JPG
    Schalmeisat1.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 716
I built a cabinet for the super 8 cast frame. It is a TL designed by Scottmoose. I believe I have the details on my website.
I also have a pair of FE207s. I've been listening to the ANs for a while and this summer will be listening to the FE207s. I must say the ANs seem to be a little picky about what amp they use. At the diy Atlanta meet we tried 2 amps and then went back to the miniwatt (which I had heard with ra7, where I listened to his ANs). It definitely likes the miniwatt and I think it likes the Nuforce Icon, but it surely did not like the NAD we listened to in Atlanta.

Josh

Would you be able to speculate on what aspects of those amps you think created the 'like' and 'dislike' with those AN drivers?

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Would you be able to speculate on what aspects of those amps you think created the 'like' and 'dislike' with those AN drivers?

I can attest to the fact that the they were bass shy on the t-amp. The miniwatt, with it's high oitput impedance is a better match for the low q driver. This is very audible and with the miniwatt thy had a much better bass... Deeper, more powerful and very tuneful

btw, Josh, what are you up to? Nice to hear from you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.