Having Fun With the CSSEL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, after many months of casually surfing DIY sites I've finally built my 1st speakers. Ordered a pair of EL70's from CSS Audio; when they arrived I couldn't wait to hear them so I put them on a small OB measuring 8.5W x15H (in). These are being BI-Amped thru a DCX2496 (also a recent purchase) crossed at 200hz LR-24. Baffle width was determined by the width of my old speakers, dual 5" woofers, which are covering the bottom end :). My equipment is very low end, (but I'm having fun), HK AVR-40 which has pre outs/main ins, which is driving the low end and a GFA7300 driving the EL70's. BSC was done in the DCX by ear listening to mainly Diana Krall. As you can probably surmise, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun. I'd encourage everyone who hasn't taken the plunge into DIY speaker building to purchase an inexpensive pair of FR's and have some fun.

...BSC was done in the DCX by ear listening to mainly Diana Krall. As you can probably surmise, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun. I'd encourage everyone who hasn't taken the plunge into DIY speaker building to purchase an inexpensive pair of FR's and have some fun.

Fun it is, for sure. So how are you liking the DCX so far? I've flirted with the idea of acquiring that toy, but I've been put off by the supposed reputation of less-than-hi-fi quality.

So, clay-buster, are you?

Fun it is, for sure. So how are you liking the DCX so far? I've flirted with the idea of acquiring that toy, but I've been put off by the supposed reputation of less-than-hi-fi quality.

So, clay-buster, are you?

Well, I'd say the sound quality is certain equal with the other components of my very humble system. I was initially concerned with the reports of background hiss typically attributed to lower than optimum signal levels from consumer grade gear. One recommendation was running your preamp output about mid scale and padding the output of the DCX by 20 db. This produced resonable/normal sound levels but sibalance was noticable higher. I don't have any none padded balanced to RCA adapters, so presently I'm putting in 12 db of gain which gives me my normal volume levels with my preamp at about 1/4 output and isn't causing any noticeable increase in sibalance.

For me it has a lot to offer for the meager sum of $285 shipped to your door.

Yes, trap and skeet shooter, thou lately my scores aren't much to brag about.

The small OB's that I've been using have run their course, and I've decided to install the El70's in 15l CB's that I have. I still intend to run these FAST, 200 HZ LR-24. I've sim'd this in WinISD which produces a box q of about .65 with heavy stuffing.

Would installing an aperiodic vent improve the overall sound?

The small OB's that I've been using have run their course, and I've decided to install the El70's in 15l CB's that I have. I still intend to run these FAST, 200 HZ LR-24. I've sim'd this in WinISD which produces a box q of about .65 with heavy stuffing.

Would installing an aperiodic vent improve the overall sound?

Probably not much beyond what you've already created with the heavy stuffing.

By coincidence, I've been playing with bi-amping today. It's probably a personal preference thing and may speak even more to the drivers I'm using, but I like the sound of a LR-12 much better than the 24.

I removed the front baffle on the old cabinets that I had and glued cleats around the inside perimeter, I glued egg crate type foam on the back panel and lined the sides with the fiberglass type matting that was previously in the cabinets, ordered a lb. of Acousta Stuff from PE for the rest. I measured the T/S parameters of the EL70's (WT3) that have about 15 hours use on them and they were very close to factory, with Qt and Fs a bit higher. I'm assuming as the units break in more that the Fs will drop.

Nice work, I'm assuming those are sealed cabinets?

Italynstylion, thanks for the compliment.

Yes, those will be sealed. I have the front baffles cut but don't presently own a plunge router to make the cutout. I just purchased an EMM-6 mic from PE and have a USB sound card on the way also, downloaded Holm so I have plenty to keep me busy; the first project is probably the most frustrating for any DIYer as one needs to acquire the resources to build even a simple project.

I am wondering if I have to be concerned when I install the Acousta Stuff about it coming in contact with the cone? The material is not in a sheet, but clumpy like cotton balls. I cut up an old pillow and the polyester was in layers/sheets which would probably stay in place better.

I couldn't get the equalization just right with the small OB's; vocals didn't have even body, I modeled them with MJK's worlsheet and the response looked a lot better then they sounded. Anyhow, they were just put together quickly on a Sunday afternoon so I could use the El70's.

What type of enclosure are your EL70's in?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.