Commercial "Tribute" to the Frugel-Horn? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2010, 04:56 PM   #81
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziocalepino View Post
Really many thanks! Do them work fine?
FWIW, we found them very colored and "lumpy" from the lower midrange down, (indeed, the most idiosyncratic of all the smaller Fostex "recommended" designs I've heard ), and that the Buschorn MKI folding, which is easily modified to fit a 4" driver* is vastly superior in all respects.

*If you've not already seen this, page 18 of the attached PDF shows plans for modified BH MKI. We built 2 pairs for direct comparison of FE108ESigma and FE126E - the former does some very nice things in the midrange, but the latter is overall much better bang for the buck.

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FH/...aps-130307.pdf
Old 31st May 2010, 06:06 PM   #82
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziocalepino View Post
Really many thanks! Do them work fine?
If i was to redo an enclosure for that space, i'd probably go with something like mFonken103 or Solo 103 (with terminals on the front)

dave
Old 31st May 2010, 06:08 PM   #83
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
We built 2 pairs for direct comparison of FE108ESigma and FE126E - the former does some very nice things in the midrange, but the latter is overall much better bang for the buck.
We quickly graduated to the FE126eN (modified FE126e) as it ameriolated the issues in the stock FE126e and brought its midrange much closer to that of the FE108eS without sacrificing its bass & treble supperiority.

dave

PS: Listening to RonHorn A126 right now (but need to swap in the proto dMar-Ken7 (with Alpair 7)
Old 4th August 2010, 12:31 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Default A126 Side firing design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Actually it doesn't. It vents to the rear, the deflector being to smooth the expansion out onto the rear boundary, where it is then reflected forward.
Hi Scott.
Ron provided 2 options for the Austin A126 design, the omnipresent back firing one, and also a side firing version.
Both were discussed at length at James' site, but if I remember correctly the back firing one had a revision over the side firing one. The plans sit together at the Frugel Horn site.

Regards
Gastón
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a126esf.jpg001_203.jpg (239.5 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg a126ewall.jpg001_932.jpg (224.2 KB, 333 views)
Old 4th August 2010, 06:46 AM   #85
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpicard View Post
Hi Scott.
Ron provided 2 options for the Austin A126 design, the omnipresent back firing one, and also a side firing version.
Both were discussed at length at James' site, but if I remember correctly the back firing one had a revision over the side firing one. The plans sit together at the Frugel Horn site.

Regards
Gastón

Gaston: I may be wrong, but that may well have been a thought exercise - i.e. I'm not sure of how many (if any) builds of the side firing version were executed, and/or how they might compare to the rear-firing.

I can say that a slightly modified version (i.e. larger coupling chamber) of the rear firing version remains after several years now the most overall satisfying enclosure design I've yet* encountered for the FE126E.

(*IOW, Scott has been a busy boy)
Old 4th August 2010, 09:28 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpicard View Post
Ron provided 2 options for the Austin A126 design, the omnipresent back firing one, and also a side firing version. Both were discussed at length at James' site...
I know. I was there.

Quote:
...but if I remember correctly the back firing one had a revision over the side firing one.
Not exactly. As Chris notes, the latter was never finalised.

Hide this!Advertise here!