Commercial "Tribute" to the Frugel-Horn? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2010, 08:40 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Guys,

I have sent off an email to Margareta & Goran, let's see how they respond.

dave
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:48 PM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
Just as a side note. I have been dissapointed for years some kind of kit with flatpack was not available for the frugal horn.
Hi Bas,

It was never economical to ship the Flat-paks that were made here to Europe. I too was dissappointed that no-one in Europe picked up the flag.

By the time for a 2nd run FH Mk II was already on the horizon. Now that the FE126e is discontinued, time to start over...

(i hope this is not premature) syncronystically Scott & i have recently made some rapid progress on FH MK III. Tentatively official support for Fostex FE126En, Mark Audio CHR70 & Alpair 7, and CSS EL70. The insides are so radically different (simplier and less material), that we need to build one before letting too much out. Being more versatile & simplier should hopefully lead to more flat-pak suppliers.

dave
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:27 PM   #23
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I just posted link to this thread in our local ex-Yu DiyA forum ;

Spor oko Hrvatskog Frugel Horna - DIYAudio.rs
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:33 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I too was dissappointed that no-one in Europe picked up the flag.
They have now Unfortunately not in the way you'd hoped for.
Old 4th May 2010, 03:48 PM   #25
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Obviously, the principals involved in this project for the past 5 years have been in private communication on this matter, and forwarded their concerns to Srajan at 6moons. Considering how many matters he must juggle on a daily basis, his attentive response has been very encouraging.

The next week or so shall be very interesting awaiting Goran and Margarita's own response to Srajan's inquiry for "clarification".
Old 4th May 2010, 06:33 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Seems unlikely Srajan forgot:

6moons audio reviews: The Horn Shoppe The Horn
and
6moons.com - industry features: Ed Schilling on the loose

Maybe he didn't see anything wrong w/ multiple other people building something along the same lines, since the dimensions were published way back then?
dunno...
Old 4th May 2010, 06:58 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Were they (as in the dimensions)? I didn't know Ed had published those. I know he employed the same folding scheme / configuration as the Bushorn Mk1, because he thought it an elegant layout, but the specific internal dimensions are private to the best of my knowledge, as is right and proper. It did provide the principle inspiration for the FH DIY project, in terms of a compact corner horn with a 4in - 4 1/2in driver of course.

I know Srajan certainly hasn't forgotten Ed's Horn -he mentions it in his preview / 1st page:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ringaudio/horn.html

Edit -looks like Srajan, Dave & I all posted at roughly the same time.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 4th May 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 4th May 2010, 07:02 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default well...

Does Ed Schilling have an exclusive on back-loaded Fostex driver floorstanders? I think not. I'm also quite certain he doesn't think so. That would be quite simply ridiculous.

The Ring Audio FGH 1.4 looks nothing like Ed's Hornshoppe speaker so you're perfectly correct assuming that I saw no reason for alarm when Ring Audio approached me. Just because I've reviewed one Scanspeak 2-way monitor doesn't raise any flags when I get approached to review another 2-way Scanspeak driver monitor.

I did not, however, know about the overt outward similarity of the Ring Audio speaker to the published Frugal-Horn design. As soon as it was pointed out to me, I took a look. Finding more overlap than I thought fair without proper accreditation, I incorporated this into my narrative and also called Ring Audio directly to learn how they would explain this. However, they are at the Munich show as of today so my follow-up will have to wait until they return.

As my preview states, I will update it as I learn more.
Old 4th May 2010, 07:03 PM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Serenechaos,

The difference between the Hornshoppe vrs Frugel-Horn being that the inspiration for the latter is clearly stated, and that the FH ended up quite different. If one goes back one more level, one also needs to site the original Buscshhorn.

I applaud RingAudio's efforts, part of the purpose of the Frugal-Horn site was to encourage commercial development, the only issue being to comply with the Terms of Use (ie send Martin a PayPal, and add a link back to the FH site)

The only benefit that the FH site gets is that at least one vendor thinks that a design based on one of the FH boxes can command 1000s of Euros, a compliment indeed.

dave
Old 4th May 2010, 07:48 PM   #30
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srajan Ebaen View Post
Does Ed Schilling have an exclusive on back-loaded Fostex driver floorstanders? I think not. I'm also quite certain he doesn't think so. That would be quite simply ridiculous.

The Ring Audio FGH 1.4 looks nothing like Ed's Hornshoppe speaker so you're perfectly correct assuming that I saw no reason for alarm when Ring Audio approached me. Just because I've reviewed one Scanspeak 2-way monitor doesn't raise any flags when I get approached to review another 2-way Scanspeak driver monitor.

I did not, however, know about the overt outward similarity of the Ring Audio speaker to the published Frugal-Horn design. As soon as it was pointed out to me, I took a look. Finding more overlap than I thought fair without proper accreditation, I incorporated this into my narrative and also called Ring Audio directly to learn how they would explain this. However, they are at the Munich show as of today so my follow-up will have to wait until they return.

As my preview states, I will update it as I learn more.

What the above post does not detail is the flurry of international e-mails, and Srajan's revision to preview of this product that transpired within a period of approx 24hrs since this matter first came to light.

Considering the number of tasks that he must juggle during on a daily basis, this degree of attention must be publicly commended.

Thanks, "Sir John"

Hide this!Advertise here!