Help! lost an FE127E today...ugh...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally got around to stuffing both CHR-70's into the Fonkens and they now have about 100 hours on them.

I am running my DIY PASS F5 with the Universal Chip Preamp from the chipamp forum.

At first they seemed a little subdued but after some break-in time these little drivers are coming into their own.

Terrific amount of bass and good highs. The mids have lower marks than the old FE127E "enabl'd"...

Overall I am VERY happy with the replacements and have piece of mind if another unfortunate accident should occur I will be able to get a replacement driver.

EnABLing aside, for my money Mark's paper coned EL70 (as compared to the CHR70) has more of the flavoring that I like from the FE127E. It's taking a lot longer than I'd planned to get a round toit, but I should be installing some Alpair 7 into a new pair of boxes by this weekend.

I too like the EL70's. Unfortunately they are much deeper than the FE127's and would have required a lot of surgery to make them fit in the fonkens.

They would have been my first choice.

The Alpair 7's were also in the top 2 or 3 but too were deeper than the 127s.

Luckily in this case I am very happy for the quick and easy fix.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Ever since, I have never really seen the point in DC coupled amps, although i USED to highly advocate them. Any Cap, even a electrolytic (though PS/PP would more likely be my choice), is worth it, if it saves the beloved speakers, IMHO. Now ive said that, im off to put some caps on my other DC coupled amp.......*whistles*

James Audio transformers has some nice transformers to couple output to output at the same time enabling impedance transformation. You'll get some more 2nd harmonic distortion through the steel though... Transistor amp takes on some tube like sound (less damping)

edit: has anyone looked at the specs of the Tang Band W4-1320? Seem to be close but don't know if they are close enough: fs = 75Hz, QTS = 0.35, QES = 0.49, QMS = 1.29 and VaS = 6.41. Bamboo pulp cone. Shielded.

AM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.