Help! lost an FE127E today...ugh...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I need some recommendations for drivers in the Fonkens...Something dimensionally as close as possible.

EL70 wont cover the hole good enough and is much deeper
what about the FF125K?
The CSSFR125SR?
CHR70?
Alpair7?

any Tang Bands close enough in size?

Last edited:
Dimensionally as close as possible would be the FE126E (identical frame).

How did you lose the driver? I have a pair of 127's sitting in the closet, if you're desperate.

By the way, the CHR70 was a close fit (I put them in some FE127 cabs) but I don't know how it would do with the cab in question.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FE126 and FF125K will fit. But neither work well at all.

The port tuning of the EL70 primeSize miniOnken can be retrofitted into a set of FonkenPrime. If you can figure out how to make the EL70 fit (like a bit more baffle) or a graft job you won't compromise the performance.

If you can get a set of FE127 jump on them. Don't toss the dead drivers... the cones can be used to make a trifoil template.

dave

can i ask? HOW?

Whilst everyone has posted answers to the question of what driver will fit, im amazed no-one has dared to ask the 'How?' question. so in a light-hearted way:

To the OP:

I would love to know HOW you managed to lose a driver...Ive only little personal experience with Fostex, but i was surprised to read that you lost a driver.

I would expect that your ears would have to be bleeding profusely, for them to be loud enough for the coil to go o/c :hypno2:

Also while replacing the drivers maybe its a good idea to check the amplifier out too. Im aware its a reputed design, but an amp problem or higher than desireable DC in the output would explain alot, should it be present.

UNLESS you just had the fostex VERY loud...:D

Last edited:
Whilst everyone has posted answers to the question of what driver will fit, im amazed no-one has dared to ask the 'How?' question. so in a light-hearted way:

To the OP:

I would love to know HOW you managed to lose a driver...Ive only little personal experience with Fostex, but i was surprised to read that you lost a driver.

I would expect that your ears would have to be bleeding profusely, for them to be loud enough for the coil to go o/c :hypno2:

Also while replacing the drivers maybe its a good idea to check the amplifier out too. Im aware its a reputed design, but an amp problem or higher than desireable DC in the output would explain alot, should it be present.

UNLESS you just had the fostex VERY loud...:D

actually, we've found at least a couple of ways to destroy an FE127s voice coil (or two at once in a bipole enclosure)

hint: a lot harder with a tube amp than with the shorted DC rail of a Nelson Pass mini-aleph (what's that amber glow from behind the dust cap?) , or perhaps the hot switched output of a DC coupled chip-amp

yes, the FX120 will work very well indeed in the Prime Fonken enclosure (I've enjoyed Jeff's on several occasions) , providing of course that you can fit the driver in the baffle and that magnet or other internal bracing does not interfere

Last edited:
And so far...I am leaning towards the CHR-70. I have a pair of EL-70s in the Fonken Floorstanders MKII and they sound awesome. Unfortunately they are too deep. The CHR70s are the same basket but more shallow. I have an extra EL70 around(destroyed dustcap = 2yr old with curious fingers).

Anyways...I think with some filling and trying to graft a thin piece of plywood in the hole I can make them presentable again.

Love to try the FX120 but a little out of budget right now.

The last options would be the FR125SR but seems that the consensus is that folks seem happier with the performance of the Mark Audio units.

Thanks for the replies...And yes I have since gone back and double checked the DC on the outputs of the F5...

And so far...I am leaning towards the CHR-70. I have a pair of EL-70s in the Fonken Floorstanders MKII and they sound awesome. Unfortunately they are too deep. The CHR70s are the same basket but more shallow. I have an extra EL70 around(destroyed dustcap = 2yr old with curious fingers).

Anyways...I think with some filling and trying to graft a thin piece of plywood in the hole I can make them presentable again.

Love to try the FX120 but a little out of budget right now.

The last options would be the FR125SR but seems that the consensus is that folks seem happier with the performance of the Mark Audio units.

Thanks for the replies...And yes I have since gone back and double checked the DC on the outputs of the F5...

as Gregg demonstrated at a DIY fest a couple of years ago, it was probably transient(s) from hot jacking of inputs on a DC coupled amp that did it

I was swapping preamps - without powering the amp down - and a terrible noise came out of the speakers - thats all she wrote.

My own stupid fault for not powering down. Ugh...

Ahhhh! the loud click as the cone pops against the back of the magnetic gap, or shoots the opposite way and right out of the gap......

I have only ever had that happen to me when Transistor died in a project amp i was testing (bias was rather alot too high), and the full +45VDC output from the 500VA trannie was shunted through the coil...momentarily.

Ever since, I have never really seen the point in DC coupled amps, although i USED to highly advocate them. Any Cap, even a electrolytic (though PS/PP would more likely be my choice), is worth it, if it saves the beloved speakers, IMHO. Now ive said that, im off to put some caps on my other DC coupled amp.......*whistles*

After all the weakest point in any system is almost always the speakers, isnt it?

Yar, I had the nuforce ref 8 amps with 9 preamp hooked up to a pair of fe166e drivers one time and something bad happened that caused the Fostex drivers to play distortion far beyond their limits for 5 seconds or so. They survived. Somehow. I expect the backplate had a nice ring shape stamped on it after that. But it's the only time I've seen a 1mm driver move a full cm, haha.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looks like i'll need to convert tuning for all the Fonken family. FX120 really wants a bit more Vb, although i do have them in a dFonkenFX (10 litres), think of it as a mFonken in a mFonken vrs FonkenPrime size kindwise. The Fonken167 can probably be tuned for FX120 and be the full size one.

I'm gonna guess many free FE127 hiding in closets are going to exchange hands. I'll be sucking up some of those to make more FE127eN.

In opinions placed by people who have heard both in the same room at the same time , FE127eN is about equal (or a slight edge) at about the same price and requires no retrofit.

dave

Looks like i'll need to convert tuning for all the Fonken family. FX120 really wants a bit more Vb, although i do have them in a dFonkenFX (10 litres), think of it as a mFonken in a mFonken vrs FonkenPrime size kindwise. The Fonken167 can probably be tuned for FX120 and be the full size one.

I'm gonna guess many free FE127 hiding in closets are going to exchange hands. I'll be sucking up some of those to make more FE127eN.

In opinions placed by people who have heard both in the same room at the same time , FE127eN is about equal (or a slight edge) at about the same price and requires no retrofit.

dave

am I the only one who finds the first paragraph a bit confusing? and I built the boxes he's talking about

maybe it's time to consider a "new lamps for old" program for those folks now possessing single (or unused) 127s, even those interested in trying a different flavor - assuming of course that the new driver would fit in existing enclosures

Finally got around to mounting at least one CHR70 in the fonken cabinet. I filled the holes with plastic wood and finally found an orientation that gave enough meat in the baffle to screw it down.

I must say that it sounds really nice - I cant wait to get the other one mounted...this weekend perhaps...

I finally got around to stuffing both CHR-70's into the Fonkens and they now have about 100 hours on them.

I am running my DIY PASS F5 with the Universal Chip Preamp from the chipamp forum.

At first they seemed a little subdued but after some break-in time these little drivers are coming into their own.

Terrific amount of bass and good highs. The mids have lower marks than the old FE127E "enabl'd"...

Overall I am VERY happy with the replacements and have piece of mind if another unfortunate accident should occur I will be able to get a replacement driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.