40-1197 in Solo103?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Vaughn, since the 40-1197 is a variation on the FE103, it should work in Tony Gee's Solo-103 cab design. I can verify the cross between 40-1197 and FE103, as I have multiple sets here that some are stamped with both P/N's. Can't get much more verification than that!:D

Peace,

Dave

Hello Vaughn, since the 40-1197 is a variation on the FE103, it should work in Tony Gee's Solo-103 cab design. I can verify the cross between 40-1197 and FE103, as I have multiple sets here that some are stamped with both P/N's. Can't get much more verification than that!:D

Peace,

Dave

just be aware that over the several decades during which this "model" of driver has been in production there will be variations in real world T/S parameters that might affect the calculus for BSC or any other EQ/correction filters

Hello chrisb, I agree with you assessment about the variations throughout the life of the design. I do remember many of the more experienced builders here stating that even with new drivers, parameters can vary as much as 20%, so it would be a good idea to measure any driver(s) you have, to make sure they are close enough in parameters, and to properly adjust the BSC, etc.
And you also have to take into account the fact that parameters change as speakers age.

Peace,

Dave

That all sounds well and good but doesn't jive with my "shoot from the hip" approach!;)

I don't have any means of measuring the T/S parameters or indeed of measuring the actual output of the end result. Luckily I have all of the parts on hand to complete a pair of these without having to invest in anything so I think I'll just build them and listen!

Hello Vaughn, nothing wrong with "shoot from the hip", I tend to do so also. the comments chrisb and I made are more to keep everyone thinking about the various variables that affect how the speakers may sound/act in real life. I think that you will find most here tend to use the same method as yourself, but it's good to remember the details, at least for reference.

Peace,

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.