Desol old post faint hope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Dave, I could get lost in their for days.
I thought I could build the uFonken to get my feet wet, course the little bigger ones are not that much more money wise.
I can pick up some 1/2" Baltic birch while the Fostex FF85K come.
Or maybe the next size up as the cost is about the same and I would think they would sound better.
I would have to buy a 5'X5" sheet of Baltic Birch either way.
Course when I search Madisound I only found the Fostex FF85K, and not the Fostex FE127E or 85K
Cheers Ron.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FF85K would be an 85K. In their "great wisdom" Fostex discontinued the FE127, halving the number of available "my favorite Fostex"

We get 5 sets of uFonken out of a sheet of BB. I think it goes down to 3/sheet if you move up to the milliSize boxes.

You get better balance (ie some bass below 100 Hz) with the larger boxes, but the uFonken is quite stunning in the range it does cover. Ignoring the bass deficit i wouldn't call any of these better than the others (haven't done the Alpair 7 one yet, but it is a notch up in price), just different.

The stock FF85K, CHR70, and EL70 are all pretty close price wise, the modified ones i sell are all the same price. I do have some demos of the old CHR70eN for a bargin price which would upset the price/perfomance ratio favourably.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.