Best full range driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ScottG>OB is scary. Please elaborate a little more on your thoughts? The OB is inehrently subject to a weak bass. Why would I want to build a OB FR?
Going for a woofer + Wideband I can understad the reasoning but a true FR seams a little odd?

I wasn't suggesting a full-range open baffle.. I posted that particular link more for the Chopper87's description of the various drivers. It's pretty rare that such a diverse grouping of full-range drivers are compared/contrasted (regardless of function use).

As depressing indictment on the current state of the world as you're likely to find. Call me old fashioned if you will but I was always under the impression that relationships were partnerships. A partnership is not defined by one half preventing the other from engaging in their own hobby while doing whatever they like themselves.

Gentlemen -get out from under the blanket of this post-feminist (or whatever the heck they're calling it this week) society. Chuck your hair-products in the bin, where they belong, burn the skin-care products & tooth-whitening kits before you end up looking like a US news-anchorman, get out there, buy yourself a Triumph TR6, a train-set, and enjoy your bloody stereo. You're a man. It's not a crime.

Hear hear! No wonder the BBC network is so entertaining;)

markusA

Hi there, did you ever scratch your itch with the Jordan's? All my designs use the JX92 as its a remarkable driver. My latest ported design really squeezes the last drops out of it, including plenty of bass.

I wouldn't recommend adding it into a multiway or adding filtering or crossover. Much better to add a dedicated subwoofer.

Even though the JX92 is a super little driver, I find myself wondering if there is something to move the sound on and my gut seems to point to a ported cabinet using the TangBand W8-1808. Not saying this will be revelatory but moving to an 8" may fill in a bit of detail in the midrange.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
5" 28W - TB W5-1611SA

Is there a project TL-line with the speaker W5-1611SA?

What is his price for a pair?

The neo versions are, AFAIK, now discontinued. We tried ours in FH3 where it worked well. A bit soft on the top, some will find a helper tweeter of good benefit.

Dougbo did a project with the ferrite version and liked them.

Our R&D pair for sale.

dave

PM6A

I'm late to this party, except that I started out listening to 8" FR driven by 6V6 pp monoblocs 50+ years ago. Just heard 1960 PM6A/Acoustas with Welborne Labs 300b amps and it was better than I, a believer, expected. Found out why Diana Krall cds are disparaged.
Quick clean and quiet. The amps don't even get that hot. I want them. The Lowthers are as advertised, stronger than expected. Hell of a buy by my buddy: $65 for the speakers at an estate sale.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.