Best full range driver? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2010, 09:56 AM   #41
markusA is offline markusA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The Lowthers looks real nice but I couldn't find any graphs? (Frequency responce, waterfall or imedance?)
And they're pricey to.

But hey, I did ask for performane.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:14 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrakaz View Post
Over the last 10 years or so I've collected numerous "full range" drivers. From old Altec to Diatones to Fostex, Jordan, etc. Full range driver is an oxymoron. Wide band should be used to describe these drivers.

If I had to choose only one wide band driver pair from my collection I would choose the Feastrex. Next would be the Visaton B200, then the JX92s and Diatones. The Fostex, Altec, Lowther and Markaudio don't sound as balanced or clear. (The Lowthers I have are the DX4 and DX55, which have superior mid/top then all the other drivers, but alas is unbalanced and needs a bass driver.)
Hello, I am glad that you like Feastrex too. I do know one or two gentlemen in this part of the world who have fallen in love with it, and we got along well still sharing many audio hobby exploration and experience together. Not for a moment I would think they are very different from me in terms of our passion for good music. I have owned a pair of Visaton B200 which I like very much too on Open Baffle but did not live long enough with it for further exploration. If I am to go nit picking, I would hope the high end extension of the Visaton b200 could be more refined (but this may be due to my **** gears, how knows). These are now in the hands of one of my audio buddy and he loves it so much. I know Planet10 has suggested some dustcap/phase plug mod for it which is supposed to cure just that. I have not tried.

I did not have experience with any Jordon drivers in my life. But now I have one pair of Alpair 10 drivers sitting around my room. I have tried them briefly on my open baffle augmented by an active 18" dipole woofer. They sound decent enough for me to keep them on the board and i would have if I had not been to Mark's office and listened to his Alpair 12 in the Pencil 12 birch box. Now I want to try the alpair 10 in the Pencil 10.
Old 20th April 2010, 07:02 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
Hi Inclined Plane, which were the $150/pair drivers you liked?

Incidentally, the Feastrex don't have that 2k whizzer peak as far as I can hear. But nor are they trying to be ultra-efficient like Lowthers, based on what little I know (very little!)
Oh, the Audio Nirvana Super Eights. But be aware my judgement of how good a fullranger is - is far from the mainstream. I like high volume duty and I judge a driver's worth by how smooth it sounds loud. And most of them sound quite terrible indeed. The AN driver is simply 'over the horizon ahead' compared to its Fostex, AER, and Lowther counterparts. No it does not have quite the resolution of the megabuck drivers but I really couldn't care less. I still haven't heard any Mark drivers but I think his attitude and participation here is just great.

I just ordered a Valab NOS USB DAC. I hope it's good!

Also, I don't think 2khz is whizzer territory. It's the main cone that seems to go nonlinear in this area.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:07 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

>>> My reference point is the Jordan Jx92s driver.

I liked seeing this comment because it represents a ‘reference point’ some will agree with and others won’t. My reference is the Fostex 168s, someone else’s might be Lowther, Feastrex or Altec coax. From ‘our’ reference point we make decisions about what we like about other drivers we buy and use. Also, just because it’s my reference driver does not mean I think it’s the best. It’s just a driver I think does most things well enough to please me most of the time. I think the similarly priced TB 8” full range driver is better in some ways… I think the some of the cheaper drivers I own are also better in some ways. Depending on how these drivers are implemented (back horn, ob, pipe, etc.) determines which speaker would be better overall.

>>> No it does not have quite the resolution of the megabuck drivers but I really couldn't care less.

Interesting statement. I agree with it because i believe sometimes less resolution is better.

>>> I still haven't heard any Mark drivers but I think his attitude and participation here is just great.

Me neither. I agree.

>>> I just ordered a Valab NOS USB DAC. I hope it's good!

Enjoy, I hope it’s good too.

>>> Also, I don't think 2khz is whizzer territory. It's the main cone that seems to go nonlinear in this area.

Perhaps. I have no clue but do enjoy drivers with wizzers.

$70k on drivers? I think this blurs the line between a piece of hardware and a piece of what some may consider art. For the people who purchase them, i hope they sound good too!

Godzilla
Old 21st April 2010, 01:18 AM   #45
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

$70k on drivers? I think this blurs the line between a piece of hardware and a piece of what some may consider art. For the people who purchase them, i hope they sound good too!

Godzilla
Just to clarify again.. I think the $70K limit is way too shocking for many ... Again I'm not offended or upset...... But I think I better make it clear that that's not the one and only driver Feastrex sells... The basic models are way way much lower than $70K, infact pricewise comparable with the better and more upmarket fullrange manufacturers... No this is not a sales pitch... last thing I need to do on this thread.. Just that I keep seeing the $70K figure popping up without any mention to the availability of the lower price range......
Old 21st April 2010, 06:13 AM   #46
tuyen is offline tuyen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tuyen
My pair of feastrex d5nf will cost me less then a pair of lowther alnicos. I've heard both and much prefer the feastrex. I personally found the sound less 'shouty' and fatiguing in the mids/highs and suprisingly more deeper bass from the 5" feastrex in br box then the 8" lowther in a BLH.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:10 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Good to see this thread has settled down. Great! However, I must confess, I loved Scottmoose statement re a friend buying Feastrex....."hit him"...I love it!! It is imperative we dont loose our sense of humour...and good to see yours has returned Scottmoose!!?? Sites that deal with taste, opinion and a mixture of expertise are always a bit tricky to navigate a way through.

You guys should feel what it's like being an audio moron like me!!??....hearing about great single drivers on discussions such as this (ie; Alpair 10inch, Feastrex, well, alright I admit to lusting after these probably more than even SEAS EXOTIC) after you have bought something else and you can't make 'em work really well! It is sometimes better to go the extra yard..., (or as in Feastrex case, two yards), and get what you really want and love! Holding something precious and full of precision, even if it is only for a short time etc etc...is worth it....a good bottle of Aussie Shiraz for example!! (Where did I put it?) If it is music and you love it, hock yourself for it....we all end-up in the pine motel (ie, coffin) for a heck of a long time. As for our partners......well I'd just like to say.........sorry I've got to go!!! Half the hassle is with DIY F/R stuff is; you can't hear the stuff before you buy it and build it...and then you have to adjust it, adapt it.........
Regards to you all and thanks again! ...now I like these Alpiar 10's, I'd prefer the Feastrex...maybe I could strike a compromise with SEAS Exotic....etc etc etc: I'll slip back under my rock now: Regards again: Dave

Last edited by davethomp; 21st April 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:58 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

On a light-hearted note... here is a video of the very good sounding Fostex FF85K. Thank you to Dave @ PLanet10 for steering me towards these.

YouTube - Re: AudiogoN @ CES 2009: YG Acoustics: Best Loudspeaker on Earth

I find myself very much enjoying these cheap drivers... modifying, destroying, running them full-range, crossoverless. Sort of comparable to VW ownership versus Porsche ownership. I'm not worried if I were to blow-up the Fostex. (More so if I owned Feastrex
Old 21st April 2010, 12:14 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Hi Chaps,
I've received several private communications asking for more driver selection advice. Here's some quick suggestions. I'm thinking about a practical approach (mine or other driver makes), it's useful to start by thinking about the following:

1 - Room size
If you've got a large room volume, might be useful to think about horns, OB designs, basically something on the grander scale. Conversely, smaller environments might do better with vented and BR designs.

2 - Amplification.
If you're taste is for weeny amps pushing out small power, then high efficiency drivers have to be the preferable choice. Driver choices widen if more power is on tap.

3 - Budget
Nice to dream about spending lots of dosh but sadly, times being what they are, its worth shopping around but do it for the whole "project" rather choosing drivers first.

Granted, these suggestions are broad so hope others will chip in with more advice. Because most of us are still "boys with toys" at heart, we often like to concentrate on the sexy bits like amps, drivers and so forth. It usually pays to take a step back, deep breath, and consider the project as a whole. Bear in mind, the boss (wife, partner etc.) might not appreciate your grand scheme! Ummmmmph, lots to consider.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 21st April 2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 21st April 2010, 01:02 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default This is a tangent, but hopefully a simple and brief one

Some full rangers (FRs) do great things, but I haven’t heard enough different ones to advocate particular drivers etc, but anyhow just took the plunge and bought my 1st FRs (8 inchers) last week.

I get the impression that FR diyers are a little more likely to go Open Baffle than multi way systems. Whether or not that hunch is right, who can comment on this:

Something I’ve just started to wonder/ worry about, as I got the FRs with a view to using them on an OB (inc good Xmax), and now looking into what size & shape baffle to use:

The frequency response of any driver mounted on an OB has severe peaks and troughs above the Dipole peak, “every time that D is a multiple of a wavelength” – the 2nd graph at Electro-acoustic models

In a multi way, to avoid an 8 inch mid-woofer passing these peaks and troughs on to the listener, the crossover would pass the offending range over to the tweeter. But with FRs we don’t want to do that.

It now seems to me that if you want smooth response, don’t put FRs on an OB, or if you do, you need to defeat the benefit of the FR and use a “normal”/ low crossover to a tweeter . .

I hope I’m wrong. Have I missed something?

Hide this!Advertise here!