Best full range driver? - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2010, 09:10 PM   #91
markusA is offline markusA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Now, I've been looking at the different suggestions.
I never new they were out there, very impressive indeed.

Rullit looks expensive and I couldn't find any data?

PHY-HP looks awsome, too bad I cant afford them. I'd really love to look ito them further but It just ain't happening, too expensive.

Fertin, no graphs found? I wasn't impressed, don't know why?

EMS actually got me thinking. I never thought about building a speaker with a 12" or 15" FR driver? Ok, I would possibly need a tweeter on top but still, it's a very interesting though, especially if they sound good. Too bad the graphs doesn't show response for the LB12 below 200Hz?
I don't know if I'll be able to let this thought go? A 12"...
Old 29th April 2010, 09:49 PM   #92
Defo is offline Defo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Lowther? Ohh please god no...

Tang Band 1772? Hell yes!

My two cents...
Old 29th April 2010, 11:01 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusG View Post
Hornresp... I'm trying to figure it out but it's not easy going.
Sorry for the OT but check out:

BLH example with Hornresp in pictures
Horn How-To with AJ Horn (BLH / BVR)

Then maybe start a thread for your project? Sounds interesting to me!
Old 30th April 2010, 05:36 AM   #94
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

This might be of interest:

6moons audio reviews: A 4-year journey into open baffles with widebanders
Old 30th April 2010, 05:38 AM   #95
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Also considering the dissatisfaction with the Jordans.. I thought this was also interesting:

UltraAudio.com Equipment Review - Van Zyl Audio Frontline Loudspeakers (4/2010)

Who knows.. perhaps the floor venting line allows for greater spl's?
Old 30th April 2010, 07:58 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Defo>How would you describe the TB compared to Lowther? I assume you have some experience?

TB would indeen be a chep way out.

rjbond3rd> Oh, gosh. I'm already in the middle of two other projects. This is just preparing for the future. I like to start the planning way ahead so I can let the thoughts mature.
Finding drivers, deciding on the type of cabinet, start some simulations, ... it takes time and I like to do a good job.

If I could have the Jordans with a tiny tiny bit less veiled sound I'd be decided already.

At this moment in time I'm reading up on how to build a FR speaker without the need for bsc. Cutting 6dB on top is clearly something I'd like to do without.

I'm staring to wonder if it's the driver that's causing all my headaches with hornresp?

ScottG>OB is scary. Please elaborate a little more on your thoughts? The OB is inehrently subject to a weak bass. Why would I want to build a OB FR?
Going for a woofer + Wideband I can understad the reasoning but a true FR seams a little odd?
Old 30th April 2010, 08:50 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

*Atempting to get the foot out of my mouth*
I errrrhh... made a small oups.
Apparently my memory played a trick on me.
The Jordans are actually good for 50W continous and 100W peak.
I can no longer complain on them not being able to handle the power.

Feeling stupid and embarrassed... (I thought it was 20W/50W)
Old 30th April 2010, 01:00 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I could have the Jordans with a tiny tiny bit less veiled sound I'd be decided already.
Less veiled sound may be found in other parts of the system.

I have heard a very "unveiled" sounding system w/ jordan drivers; good analog front end, and large pentode amps I believe.

I can't imagine OB not adding a few layers of veils as well as weak bass.
OB has zero WAF in my house; my wife can hear OB w/o even going in the room, the lack of detail from the back wave bouncing around the room then randomly recombining w/the front wave drives her crazy.
@ RMAF she refuses to even go in OB rooms, just sticks one ear in each door, then says "no, it's those bouncy speakers, i'm staying outside."
but the above mentioned (simple) Jordan system was one her favorites a couple years ago.

Less veiled, and far more dynamic, and detailed are the Lowther field coil conversions in 140Hz LeCleac'h front horns, on top of Klipsch corner horns mentioned previously; but even this configuration is two-way, not full-range.

Last edited by serenechaos; 30th April 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 30th April 2010, 01:47 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

It's true what you're saying and the last couple of hours I've started to doubt my own judgement.
Playing around with placement gave me some more air so maybe it's an acoustic issue as much as a hardware issue?

It would be nice to hear more opinions about other jx92s designs. If no-one else are experiencing the "veil" it's probably my system or maybe the cabinets themselves?
Perhaps my best solution would be a redesign of the speakers rather than buying new drivers?

I've been away from the game for a long while. "Lowther field coil conversions" is like greek to me.
Old 30th April 2010, 04:43 PM   #100
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's true what you're saying and the last couple of hours I've started to doubt my own judgement.
Playing around with placement gave me some more air so maybe it's an acoustic issue as much as a hardware issue?

It would be nice to hear more opinions about other jx92s designs. If no-one else are experiencing the "veil" it's probably my system or maybe the cabinets themselves?
Perhaps my best solution would be a redesign of the speakers rather than buying new drivers?

I've been away from the game for a long while. "Lowther field coil conversions" is like greek to me.

I just quickly scanned this thread, and IIRC there was only a quick mention in the original post of the specific enclosure in which your Jordans are installed ( i.e. an ML TWQP).

Not that it matters, but I'll reserve my opinion on this particular driver, as the only two pairs I've had occasion to hear were; 1) probably damaged and operating on a system with compromised chip amp /DAC design 2) part of the group buy that was early production after relocation of manufacturing, and by several reports suspect in terms of consistency to previous samples.

That said, it won't take long to find numerous examples of enclosures "designed for" the JX92, some with reports of "better" overall performance than others (in other words - "experts" be damned, which particular compromises can you detect and accept in your system?), and the driver is well known as being highly resolving and placement / toe-in sensitive.

re Lowther Field Coil conversion:

no doubt there are other links / resources - I'm sure serenechoas could elaborate, but here's one

A little RMAF Lowther p0rn for you single driver OB guys

Hide this!Advertise here!