Resisitvely Loaded CHR-70 Bookshelf Sphere - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2010, 12:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Resisitvely Loaded CHR-70 Bookshelf Sphere

OK, so my front ported design didn't get very far. Bookshelf Sphere with dual concentric ports ?

And I need to build ( or buy ) something soon because I am without sounds.

From a build/experimentation view I like the idea of holes in the back so that I can add new ones or fill them in almost at will, whilst still keeping a smart looking front face.

I will build my spheres from ikea salad bowls, 28cm diameter. Which will give a max volume of about 12l, but I can cut this down obviously.

These will mostly be desk monitors, they will get turned up sometimes to fill the room with sound but not anything 'loud'.

So help me out !

What volume / number of holes / wadding should I try ?

Is CHR-70 the right choice ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resistive_bookshelf_FR.jpg (150.3 KB, 296 views)
Old 18th April 2010, 08:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anyone know anything about these? Anthony Gallo Acoustics – A'Diva Ti

What would the commercially available equivalent driver be?

Any idea what the S2 technology volumetric efficiency ******** is all about ? Anthony Gallo Proprietary Technologies

Last edited by jimbo1968; 18th April 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

after some reading around, it seems that aperiodic design may improve the lower end but only 'quality' not 'quantity' ie bass extension.

Seeing as I want lower bass, it's back to the bass reflex design.
Old 20th April 2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I understood the advantage of aperiodic loading to be a reduction in required enclosure size. 12L is already large for the CHR-70 though, I think with aperiodic loading it could fit into about 5L and give a smooth response. Something I may try myself.

If you've got 12L of space available though, that'll be great for a nice low tuned bass reflex. Let us know how it goes
Old 20th April 2010, 06:48 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Playing with sims 9-10 litres seems optimum for a vented box for chr70. A few more reports back from beta builders (including us) of our dMar-Ken70 should confirm that... the first review was positive.

I could see the possibility of incorporating the high aspect ratio ports into a ring that is used to hold the 2 halves together.

dave
Old 20th April 2010, 08:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I really can't make up my mind. Current plan is while I wait for the drivers to lash up a 4.5l sealed box (= next size down salad bowl), and 2x 12l cubes with screw on baffles. One front ported baffle and one sealed baffle.

A flat baffle with the ring of ports around the driver will be much easier than doing the same on the spheres.

Then I will experiment with equalisation and decide between sealed or ported.

Hide this!Advertise here!