Alpair drivers in some BD pipes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,
I have an old pair of BD pipes I built many years ago - using the Radio Shack 40-1197 drivers. I was wondering if any of the Alpair drivers might be a possible drop in replacement? It looks like the Alpair 6's might be a fit (ok - I haven't checked the measurements too closely). Obviously I'd need to tweak the port length as well.

any thoughts? These are up in my TV room at the moment - it would be wrong to call it a home theatre - but the old marantz 2230b receiver would appreciate a new set of pipes.

Stevo

Hi folks,
I have an old pair of BD pipes I built many years ago - using the Radio Shack 40-1197 drivers. I was wondering if any of the Alpair drivers might be a possible drop in replacement? It looks like the Alpair 6's might be a fit (ok - I haven't checked the measurements too closely). Obviously I'd need to tweak the port length as well.

any thoughts? These are up in my TV room at the moment - it would be wrong to call it a home theatre - but the old marantz 2230b receiver would appreciate a new set of pipes.

Stevo

Steve - I don't think a direct drop-in,the Alpair wants approx 4mm larger driver cutout than the FE103/40-1197, but it would be a very interesting experiment -

If you don't already have the Alpairs on hand, the rectangular frame version might mitigate the issues of cleanly enlarging the driver cutouts

unless you have an amp comfortable at 2ohm load, don't forget to wire them in series

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.