Another Desktop Speaker Project (FE103E) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2010, 05:00 PM   #31
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Do note that the measures i posted are for FE127eN not FE103

I'm at 800 ft above sea level.

dave

well, the speakers are evation - it's not guaranteed that the measurer isn't at a greater elevation
Old 15th April 2010, 11:59 PM   #32
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Mr. Müller recommended that I decrease the amount of clay until I got the amount which would shift the resonance down by 1/1.41, so I did that. I'm down to 3 grams of clay.

I get better numbers but with one speaker I still get a negative value for Vas.

I'm using a simple buffer amp made from a TL082 with a 2N2222A and a 2N2907 on the output to buffer the soundcard 0utput (Soundblaster Audigy).

The speaker is now suspended on a string about 1.5M from the ceiling.

I may try mounting the speaker on a tripod and setting it up outside where there is nothing nearby to provide an echo to the speaker to see if that will help.
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:34 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

is that the internal port length to replace the 136.5mm from the fe127 version which would give a port opening of 45.5mm (against the 12mm of the fe127 version?)
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:34 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain pugwash View Post
is that the internal port length to replace the 136.5mm from the fe127 version which would give a port opening of 45.5mm (against the 12mm of the fe127 version?)
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:38 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

sorry folks, still haven't got the hang of this quoting malarky, the above seemingly random question is based on this quote below from earlier;

"Looks like i never did any drawings, the email to Chris says an mFonken with ports shortened to 103mm (i didn't see the syncronicity of that till just now, honest)

dave"
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:21 PM   #36
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain pugwash View Post
sorry folks, still haven't got the hang of this quoting malarky, the above seemingly random question is based on this quote below from earlier;

"Looks like i never did any drawings, the email to Chris says an mFonken with ports shortened to 103mm (i didn't see the syncronicity of that till just now, honest)

dave"

well since he never got around to a drawing for this one, based on the above comment, it might look something like the attached (Dave - correct me if this is wrong)

notes:
1)drawn for 15mm material thickness - more than adequate for a driver of this horsepower- if anything, go for thinner ie. 12mm (1/2"), and retain the internal dimensions;
2) even at this size, decent plywood or solids like pine, cedar, VG fir, etc will sound much better than MDF;
3) parts drawn in red are optional (but recommended) bracing;
4) port spacer strips extend full depth as part of bracing scheme;
5) lightly damp walls with 1/2" or so natural felt if available, before buttoning up final side - avoid occluding the opening of vent slots
6) no apologies to imperialists for the metric dimensions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mF103.pdf (5.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:07 PM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

That looks right

dave
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:11 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
A witch! To the river!
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:14 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

LOL! I too had the same SWIMBO requirements imposed on me. So built some microFonkens:
Click the image to open in full size.
For a tone-deaf bloke these little puppies SING and bring vocals to life. Well worth & punchy little mites t'boot. Fantastic for the size. TY P10.

Andy

BTW, due to an ever increasing list of 'SWIMBO requirements' I am no longer with my wife and now I can bloody well build what I damn well like! So there.

Love, Me & Sue
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st September 2012, 06:23 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default Fe103 Fonken

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
well since he never got around to a drawing for this one, based on the above comment, it might look something like the attached (Dave - correct me if this is wrong)

notes:
1)drawn for 15mm material thickness - more than adequate for a driver of this horsepower- if anything, go for thinner ie. 12mm (1/2"), and retain the internal dimensions;
2) even at this size, decent plywood or solids like pine, cedar, VG fir, etc will sound much better than MDF;
3) parts drawn in red are optional (but recommended) bracing;
4) port spacer strips extend full depth as part of bracing scheme;
5) lightly damp walls with 1/2" or so natural felt if available, before buttoning up final side - avoid occluding the opening of vent slots
I only need cut the champfers to finish a pair of these cabinets. I fear I may have the speaker hole in the wrong location as I picked up the dimension from the cabinet bottom to the speaker center line from the original drawing for the FE 127. Any advice?

Hide this!Advertise here!