Another Desktop Speaker Project (FE103E) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2010, 04:32 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
i would always go for a FAST approach, with as small as possible and as low Mms as possible driver. i would assume, without knowing the Mms of both drivers, that the 103 was lower in Mms and be better transiently. that being said i dont know and could possibly be wrong. after all VC has quite an impact too. to this end i wouldnt opt for a driver of more than 4" for the wideband driver, and an Mms of less than 5g(and as far under 5 g as possible
The Mms of a fully done up FE127eN is <3g.

If i was doing a FAST (which i have), my 1st choice is the FF85KeN. Monster nagnet, Mms of 2g. It is a better tweeter than some costing twice as much.

Next up (ignoring the MJK/Shearer OB) is a miniBlade with 2 Silver Flute 14 cm woofers.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 14th April 2010, 06:00 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

In my most humble opinion ( I have only built ~ 2 dozen enclosures for the FE103) it would be very hard to beat the Bee Ess-10 as seen here for a simple box, or perhaps most other reflex boxes.

N.B. the Bee Ess are the initials for Bull Excrement (shite) but the forum does not allow those initials.

Redirect Notice

BTW I think those above are overdamped but thats just me.

For a little more effort the BK-10, a small horn.

The plans for both are on the net, Google is your friend.

Last edited by Andrewbee; 14th April 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 14th April 2010, 06:38 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The longer port on those little Japanese ones is probably better (note that the drivers are not FE103e). I have a set of BK-101 that have been my workshop workhorses (with FE103A) for a decade.

dave
Old 14th April 2010, 07:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have a set of BK-101 that have been my workshop workhorses (with FE103A) for a decade.

Dave, I read you are quite busy

The BK-10 is a newer version of the 101, mostly a shorter horn (you already know that I'm sure), mine I made some subtle modifications to, but yes, a lot more similar than different. I suppose your Alinco drivers don't hurt either.

The **-10 really suprised me though, I did not add them to the green skip behind my office at work which means a lot.
Old 14th April 2010, 08:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
How did the mFonken103 sound?
The prototypes sounded great on my desktop. It wasn't easy returning them to Dave.

Jeff
Old 14th April 2010, 11:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The Mms of a fully done up FE127eN is <3g.
If i was doing a FAST (which i have), my 1st choice is the FF85KeN. Monster nagnet, Mms of 2g. It is a better tweeter than some costing twice as much.

thats very light indeed! i wonder...do you know what the HF THD figures look like for the 127 versus the 103 versus the 85 ? obviously im talking 'standard-non-eN' drivers for now. Or perhaps figures for the alpair 5 and 6. a comparison between these 5 drivers, un eNabLed, would provide the clearest insight into the THD and behavoir at HF of these drivers and would be incredibly useful for the OP and myself(in the persuit of a future FAST system). IT terminology 'garbage in garbage out' would apply, and if i could start with an FR driver with very low THD at HF aswell and also a light membrane for good transients, enabling them would only improve things. if the reverse were done, all i would be doing is to better a poor driver. EG visaton b200. nice in theory, very nasty HF with oodles of THD abound.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:49 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I don't care about THD. I'm with Geddes & Toole that this is meaningless.

dave
Old 15th April 2010, 02:30 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I don't care about THD. I'm with Geddes & Toole that this is meaningless.

dave
ok. im not sure how extra harmonic content added as a distortion to the original signal can be insignificant, and inaudible.......triangle waveforms are certainly very easily distinguishable from a sine, even the 'stepping' of a sinewave produced by a misaligned push pull amp is clearly audible, even at 10kHz.

As with everything, there IS a threshold where THD becomes unimportant. a THD level of 0.001% versus a level of 0.01%, is unlikely to be distinguished. However, a level of 0.1% to 1% certainly WILL, from my experience with amplification at least. If the level of ANY driver falls in this range it is certainly very significant indeed, although perhaps not noticable to the users of SETs at near max power...

In any case, I was only asking about the levels of THD measured in these particular drivers, and i certainly was not expecting a defensive rebuke. im sorry if i had an opinion that offended you.

As always, the threshold of THD which is acceptable for realistic reproduction not production is ultimately up to the end user, as well as researchers to decide. I dont beleive Toole would be so foolish or blinkered as to make such a blanket statement.

If there are such THD measurements out there concerning a range of popular FR drivers to be read and examined I, for one would enjoy reading them, whether they turn out to be insignificant or not.
Old 15th April 2010, 02:56 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default A suggestion from left field ...

If you'd like the way-cool retro look, you could consider cloning the classic Akai Jetstreams:

AKAI A&D SW-30

cheers

Doug
Old 15th April 2010, 03:03 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
As with everything, there IS a threshold where THD becomes unimportant. a THD level of 0.001% versus a level of 0.01%, is unlikely to be distinguished.
Geddes' research shows a threshold of something like 25%. ie it has to be pretty bad to concern yourself about when attention could be be elsewhere more important.

In his book he has a chapter on distortion. Now after his research he says not to bother reading it...

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!