Cabinet Resonances

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To the mod(s). This thread could be re-titled just cabinet Resonances if you like. I had intended to raise general questions about wood choices and panel resonance, not specifically in relation to the Pensil 12, even though the content began there. My build for example is Pensil 7s. Feel free to delete this entry if you would like along with changing the thread title.

Hi Gazzz
I've finished production of 4500 drivers (phew!) so can start to get back to normal communication. I believe the main reason for the limited response to your questions is because the "wood" subject has been covered in other threads.

Going on my own experiences with Alpair's in MDF, Ply, reconstituted Oakwood, Japanese Walnut and Japanese White Birch, I'd say the hard solid woods have the edge. The density of hard woods, the run of the grain and the aesthetics make these natural materials desirable but a higher cost. 18-mm high grade ply is possibly the next best choice with MDF the least desirable but the easiest to work with.

So far, I'm operating:

CHR-70 in MDF - 10 litre BR
CHR-70 in Asian Oak - 6.6 Litre BR
Alpair 6 - Gen 2 Paper protos with 15-mm MDF in 3.5 Litres BR
Alpair 7 in Asian Oakwood - Pencil 7
Alpair 10 bass with Alpair 5 in Japanese White Birch - 12 Litre BR
Alpair 10 - Gen 2 protos with 20-mm MDF in 12 Litre BR
Alpair 12 in 20-mm MDF - Pencil 12
Alpair 12 in 20-mm MDF - 19 Litre BR
Alpair 12 in Japanese Walnut - Pencil 12
Alpair 12 in Japanese White Birch - Pencil 12

A note on bracing. I find the Japanese hard woods in the Pencil designs don't require bracing. Such is the quality of the Japanese cabinet work and with the wood's grain and density, the stability of the cabinet is good. I suspect that the story for ply may be similar but depends on the thickness. I'd suggest 18-mm thickness for Pencil's 7, 10 and 12.

I'll try to post more pics of the cabs soonest possible.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm an electronics guy, and have been long time involved in the audio industry. I'm new though to full range drivers, and cabinet construction. I am very interested in what you are doing with your drivers, hence my toe-in-the-water Pencil 7 build. Starting the build raised a series of questions for me regarding the cabinet construction and materials. Hence the questions here. What I had hoped for were some links to related information, sadly those didn't come, and I embarked on a journey to find them myself. At last now the relevant threads and links have been forthcoming.

I will see if I can get some measurements off my cabinet walls with and without damping as I complete the build. If they are of interest I will post them.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Gazzz
I've finished production of 4500 drivers (phew!) so can start to get back to normal communication. I believe the main reason for the limited response to your questions is because the "wood" subject has been covered in other threads....

Hi Gazz,

I've started a new thread for the Pencil 7. I'd welcome viewing your experiences on this thread as it may help other home builders with their Pencil 7 and Alpair 7 projects.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/165297-pencil-7-alpair-7-a.html

As suggested, I've changed the title of this thread from "Cabinet Resonance's in Pencil 12" to "Cabinet Resonance". This thread looks better suited for "comment and advice" for any build project.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.