The Blackmores- A Crazy Lowther build...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building these for a local friend.. They will use the Lowther PM6A in a very unconventional manner.. damn near dipole.. And before I hear about how this won't work or will sound like crap.. Well I hate to break it to those people that it does as it has been tested on a mic stand for a few months and it's pure magic IMO..

Here is the start of the Blackmores.. These will be painted a Lexus black and will have bloodwood inserts. I have all the pieces cut except the baffles.. 1 of the spines is routered minus the large round over still to come..

This picture shows it just sitting in the base jig. The base will consist of 3 half inch pieces of MDF..

I will be making a limited run of these with a change to incorporate a Lambda Dipole 12..

Hope you dig em...

P1010436.jpg

P1010437.jpg

P1010438.jpg

p10104342.jpg

Last edited:
The bases are made and rounded over. All 4 inlays were made as well.. another great day to be working in this beautiful weather!!!

The only thing left to make are the baffles and how the terminals will mount then it's time for all the bodywork and prep for paint..

P1010445.jpg

P1010444.jpg

P1010443.jpg

P1010442.jpg

P1010446.jpg

P1010447.jpg

To be honest, all the horn applications using various drivers even the Lowther left me a bad taste.. So much that I disliked fullrange drivers.. It wasn't until I heard an open baffle set of PMA6's open baffle that I learned that I hated the horns not the drivers..

Then I heard the guy who I am building these for, he had them mounted on a mic stand, and from then I was hooked.. I'll trade low end extension any day for pure bliss

after hearing a pair of Fostex F200A "naked/bipole" mounted at Bud Purvine's house a year or so ago, I'm not laffing

very nice emulation of the Lowther's basket casting on those frames

we already have a set on a mic stand playing down to 300 and then subs from there down.. I will be doing a set of these with a Lambda Dipole 12 in the not to distant future..

Fantastic looking frames, but how much bass do you expect to get from unbaffled Lowthers? I suspect SFA.

I'ver never heard good bass from a Lowther unless you build things like the monster "Big Fun Horn" or similar.

Regards, Allen

Nice work! How I wish I could do the same thing.

Say, with such handy tools and the ability of woodworking, I'd like to suggest a slightly larger baffle (or we may say frame here) for securing the driver -- the area around the driver is just enough to make smooth round-over and 'merge' the frame of the driver. The result would be a driver with wider flange and everything is smooth and streamline.

I've been thinking about that for quite a while....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'd like to suggest a slightly larger baffle (or we may say frame here) for securing the driver -- the area around the driver is just enough to make smooth round-over and 'merge' the frame of the driver. The result would be a driver with wider flange and everything is smooth and streamline.

Also create the room needed to remove the tunnel at the back of the driver.

dave

Hmmm... let me put some thought into this as I plan on making another set and I like this idea... thanks!!!!

Nice work! How I wish I could do the same thing.

Say, with such handy tools and the ability of woodworking, I'd like to suggest a slightly larger baffle (or we may say frame here) for securing the driver -- the area around the driver is just enough to make smooth round-over and 'merge' the frame of the driver. The result would be a driver with wider flange and everything is smooth and streamline.

I've been thinking about that for quite a while....

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
From acoustical aspect you really should mount drivers on the back of mounting "baffle" instead, with nice roundings
I dont know why, but some might call it a "supra baffle"

btw, it would be very good to make the edge towards surround end towards the middle of surround

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.