The Blackmores- A Crazy Lowther build...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello trusound,
"this is some of the best midrange "
how you drive it ? fullrange?,
did you made a measurement and an imp measurement, by only 1mm stroke
i think you will get a lot of distortion below 500 Hz, or is it made only
for householt SPL ~75 dB.
i look the thread but i didn´´t find something?!

I'll get some measurements with the new 2way build as these are at the clients home..

it's 330@6db and gets plenty loud..

Last edited:
yes, actual measurements would be interesting.
even just polars, not just on axis, if not impulse...
i am interested as to what makes this "some of the best midrange" to Randy.
maybe just different tastes, maybe something concrete that i'm missing...

i tried pm6a, hanging from string, found mids / highs downright unlistenable...
very colored, not worth measuring.
much nicer sounding with 160 Hz Le Cleach horn.
worth building mold for and pursuing, if i were to pursue anything with lowther drivers...

And I have found the exact opposite as well as everybody who has heard these locally.. all say the same thing.. effortless..colorless.. and I have converted people who swore off not just Lowther's but widebands in general..

The Le Cleach that I heard a 2ish years ago sounded .. bright.. and in your face.. did instruments very well but when it came to listening to normal music it failed miserably.. the same goes with the Avant Guards I heard as well..

not my cup of tea..

It's odd.

A horn is supposed to provide some gain in the lower operating range of the combo, so horn loaded drivers usually sound (and measured) fuller, warmer, or colored, darker, slower if not integrated well...

I haven't experienced any driver that is brighter with horn. (Of course my experiences are limited.)

It's odd.

A horn is supposed to provide some gain in the lower operating range of the combo, so horn loaded drivers usually sound (and measured) fuller, warmer, or colored, darker, slower if not integrated well...

I haven't experienced any driver that is brighter with horn. (Of course my experiences are limited.)

sure it extends freq range.. but I have never heard a horn that was any of those descriptions that you provided.. infact..the opposite.. from the 2 horns that I mentioned.. I also sat in front of the edgar horns a few years back in bruce's personal listening room.. all very similar in specific traits..

Now I haven't had the pleasure of sitting in front of earl's speakers yet, but from the people who I trust and have heard them first hand say they are by far the least horn like application they have ever heard.. and his foam plug from what I have read cures all or most of the ailments that I describe..

:cool: alter Schwede,

they looks great.

I wish for
RJBSJ7thAAIfkEBRQAGwAsBQAEABQAGAAABTvgJo6bIJBoOppq675wLM90fV21eOf8Jkm8HwqBQDUaMKIR2Ws6ny6HI8WKTlFVaFPY2m0slhFX5QXzQgA7
:drink:

I must have missed this thread when it originated. You need woofers that can climb pretty high to make it work, not simple subwoofers. And some frequency correction. To make the woofer gel well witht he Lowther is another complexity.
This seems an interesting approach for experimenting with active filtering and minidsp.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Great work Truesound! :cheers:
These are very beautiful and are more sculpture than audio - I may have missed it but is their shape or form used for any acoustical advantage other than placement up high without nearby supports to cause diffraction or reflections. I would be very interested to see the measurements too - especially angular or polar dependence of frequency response.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.