Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The only dome I've heard come close to that is the CSS LD25x in a waveguide. Which Dave has a design coming for that.

Almost finished installing the drivers so that you can take them away and get the SDX7 to mate with the waveguides. Chris did a good job and they are very cute.

You settled down from your move, be nice to have these for diyFEST.

dave

Almost settled in. Gotta swing back into Victoria at some point. Not sure how VI DIY Fest is gonna go for me. It's my anniversary and my inlaws are visiting as well.

I gotta bring back the other pair here. I have a couple preliminary cross overs for those. The tweeter needs a proper home on the baffle. Since Chris is so good at silk purses... I can take back the CSS speakers when I bring those down. Just when...

I'll email you about it when I have a clearer plan.

6.5" could work, if it will play loud and dynamic enough. Even if I got with an 8" I'd still need a subwoofer to reach that 30-35Hz I want.

I could wait maybe 1½ month, then I have to decide to build something. I'm going to a hifi show in Gothenburg on september 15-17 with my dad and maybe I could get some inspiration there.
To get 30hz in that small a room I suspect you're going to need room treatment. I face the same problem (slightly bigger room) and have started scratching the surface on knowledge. Is this something you've looked into?

Can you really get good even bass response to 40hz in a car? That would be surprising.
I wish I could give you a definitive answer about your room but I just don't have enough experience. I know there are calculators that can predict such things. My guess is 40hz would not be too much of a problem. I'd say build speakers that will do what you want then put them in your room and try it. Just leave some budget for room treatment if necessary.
This should get you started - Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

OB?

I think we've been through this before but I can't remember why it wasn't such a good option.

Like... Two Alpha-15A maybe in a H-frame and then some full-range unit on top? Saw this build Project | Homebuilt Hi-Fi - A user submitted image showcase of high quality home built hi-fi components.
How low will two Alpha-15A go in OB?

Played some music on my speakers today, from The Dali CD, and I almost played as loud as I want to be able to play, but the poor EL70 sounded a bit strained playing at such loud levels. Active XO, put my 2x100W amp on the top and my 2x300W at the woofers? Would be quite cheap and simple as well...

Niklas, to restate what I've likely noted before, I think the issue will be the room - placement etc for a large enough OB or H-frame, with drivers of that dimension.

Another option could be a Ripole - very compact packaging for size of drivers, but still not without placement concerns due to their dipole radiation pattern.

I'd suggest that a smaller driver such as 8" woofer (not a deep digging HT sub) would be a more appropriate candidate for this application.

Niklas, to restate what I've likely noted before, I think the issue will be the room - placement etc for a large enough OB or H-frame, with drivers of that dimension.

Another option could be a Ripole - very compact packaging for size of drivers, but still not without placement concerns due to their dipole radiation pattern.

I'd suggest that a smaller driver such as 8" woofer (not a deep digging HT sub) would be a more appropriate candidate for this application.

Exactly what would the placement problems be? That they are too close to the wall? Too close to a door? Too close to a corner? Too small room?

He hasn't tried that!?!? That was the advise we all gave you months ago.

Go do that first. I'm beginning to think you want someone to do the work for you or something...

No, I haven't tried it. I don't want someone to do the work for me, I'm just very afraid of having to design crossovers myself. I don't want to trial&error for a year or two to get something that sounds ok. I want to build something that sounds good at the first try.

Found some Swedish guy on a Swedish forum who is building some pretty big stuff.
moc10b.jpg

That's his biggest speaker, but of course he has smalled ones as well. And I think he's selling flat paks too.

I've tried to register to that forum but something's not working. I will try to get in touch with this guy though and see what he has to offer me. He seems to have the same goals as me, but maybe his are slightly bigger ;)

Exactly what would the placement problems be? That they are too close to the wall? Too close to a door? Too close to a corner? Too small room?

any, or multiples of your list

as I'm pretty sure was mentioned months ago, your room is small, and will ultimately limit what you can achieve - if you were to add enough acoustic treatment to control the bass you're seeking, there might not be enough room for the bed - less could be more

No, I haven't tried it. I don't want someone to do the work for me, I'm just very afraid of having to design crossovers myself. I don't want to trial&error for a year or two to get something that sounds ok. I want to build something that sounds good at the first try.
40+ years on for some of us, and that goal is still elusive - now does that sound like something a "dad" would say?;) - thanks to my kids, I'm rather more peaceful since surrendering to that

enjoy the journey, Niklas