Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Thanks. The name of the torrent must have been wrong. The tracks are the same. Downloading it right now.

I hope the copyright police don't nab my computer, but I "borrowed" this one from a friend and never got a chance to read the liner notes

among other backup musicians - Ry Cooder

the complex texture of Terry's voice deserves higher resolution than MP3 in my opinion

I hope the copyright police don't nab my computer, but I "borrowed" this one from a friend and never got a chance to read the liner notes

among other backup musicians - Ry Cooder

the complex texture of Terry's voice deserves higher resolution than MP3 in my opinion

I "borrowed" a FLAC version.
By the way, i've borrowed lots of music today, mostly FLAC 24/96 but some 24/192 as well.

Starting to organize all my music on my computer and making a library in Foobar and so on.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The bad camera can't catch how good this looks! Amazing! And when I put the drivers in the baffles the cutout is perfect, not even a millimeter too big.

Thanks Chris and Dave!

In my room, what would be the downsides of an EL70eN+Eminence Alpha 15 OB?

I've done some critical listening the last days and what I miss is some more impact and maybe to reach a little lower in the bass. I guess an Eminence Alpha 15 in h-frame would solve that. And that would allow me to put a HP XO on the EL70 so I get a little more headroom.

For an example. Listen to some old Metallica. It sounds good, really good. Balanced and all that. But there's no impact at all because EL70 doesn't move very much air. A 15" woofer would move a lot more air and give some impact.

And as far as I have read, the Eminence alpha 15 in a h-frame produces dry "quick" bass and not that muddy undetailed bass.

"In my room"...that´s where you end up knocking your head against walls.

Oversized bass in an undersized room can be bought cheaper - buy earphones and sit on a subwoofer.

Hey, you stupid Viking - you live at the very edge. Enjoy it instead of making your room sound like a car with a stadium speaker stack.

:D Pit

Pit,

Good to see you posting on the FR forum again!

Rullknufs,

OBs will probably be difficult to place in your room - recall reading that they need to be placed at a distance from the walls. Do you have that space?

As pit said, easiest way to get bass impact is get a subwoofer... u can sit on it or do FAST :D. For full FR, Coniston^2 might be another option - the LF of the Lotus^2 I am using has more presence than other designs. You have 4 EL70, right? But again - you will need a bit of listening distance (maybe 6-8 feet) from your speakers to enjoy MBVR designs like Lotus and Coniston.

The EL166 MLTL is good according to all that heard them at DIYFest at Dave's place.

Tapped horns are supposed to be good also - you will need low XO for those and a high excursion driver.

What old Metallica are you listening to? Have you heard "Kill 'Em All"?

I'm a little scared of subwoofers. I have yet to hear a subwoofer that works well with a par of smaller speakers.
I do have the place to have the baffles 70-75cm from the rear wall.

The only thing I want to achieve is more bass impact, a little more headroom and maybe reach 5-10Hz lower in the bass.

I want dry "fast" bass, not the muddy bass that comes from the subwoofer I've heard.

I have heard all Metallica albums. The older the better, in my opinion :)

Maybe I should start a new thread now...

But yeah, I've calculated that I'll earn around 8000SEK in november and december, which gives me a larger budget.

In my room, I would like to build something. I got a pair of EL70eN that can be used (if not i'll probably put them in some birchply mar-kel70 later).
Let's say that I can spend 7000-9000SEK on a pair of speakers and necessary amplifiers. What would you recommend?

I can XO actively with my Reckhorn S-1, solder own filters or use computer (have an Asus Xonar STX soundcard).

Last edited:

Something has happened!!!!

I was bored today so I thought I might just change drives and fix the top pieces which where way too large :p It took exactly two hours from when I unplugged the speaker cables until i plugged them back in again.
First impressions of the sound... Sounds like more bass and maybe a little "darker". Have only listened to one song yet.

I didn't have to turn the drivers 45 degrees and make new screw holes. The old ones actually worked (well, 7 out of 8) and I think they drivers are properly mounted. I saw the foam compress and the edge of the driver is very very close to the baffle.

Last edited:
And by the way, I downloaded a tone generator and found out I have a massive peak at ~55Hz at listening position. When I dragged the frequency bar between 50 and 60Hz I could hear the magnets on my billboard rattle, even at pretty low frequencies. I put my head next to the billboard and the bass was extremely loud there.

How important is large cone area in the midrange?
I came to think of that now. When I listened to the Transmission Audio M3 at a hifistore earlier this week and listened to the song Stimela with Hugh Masekela at pretty loud volume (powered with a Primare I32) the dynamic peaks in the midrange had pretty good "impact" and felt more dynamic than it does when I play the song on my Mar-Kel70 at home. Is it because the M3 had two 7" drivers and I have one 4" or is because it is simply better stuff and had a way better amplifier?

Why don't you try all 4 of your el70s and see what you think? I know - easier said than done. The Mar-Kel70^2 might be to your liking. You could top mount the untreated drivers like the micro-towers but with the finesse of your Mar-Kels.

Maybe... Might put together a simple closed box for my spare EL70 if i have time and place them on top of my Mar-Kel70 just to see what it sounds like...

How important is large cone area in the midrange?
I came to think of that now. When I listened to the Transmission Audio M3 at a hifistore earlier this week and listened to the song Stimela with Hugh Masekela at pretty loud volume (powered with a Primare I32) the dynamic peaks in the midrange had pretty good "impact" and felt more dynamic than it does when I play the song on my Mar-Kel70 at home. Is it because the M3 had two 7" drivers and I have one 4" or is because it is simply better stuff and had a way better amplifier?

IMD might be the culprit. I love my EL70s. I mean love them a lot. They're my favourite driver I know. BUT, they do have limits that easily show up at higher volumes. Larger Sd has benefits beyond making better bass. The speakers you heard were likely more effecient, so the also require less power to give the same output, therefore likely less power compression at high volumes. So you end up with the dynamics you mention.

Why don't you try all 4 of your el70s and see what you think? I know - easier said than done. The Mar-Kel70^2 might be to your liking. You could top mount the untreated drivers like the micro-towers but with the finesse of your Mar-Kels.

Good suggestion Jimbro.

Another option is the Micro Towers - probably goes lower than the Kels - Dave can confirm that.

I put my EL-70s in Half Towers yesterday - bass is impressive - might be a bit more than the dual driver Wessex I have.