Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

So, the Coniston is too big for my room. Right?

almost certainly

Then maybe a Lotus with 2x drivers will be the thing?
maybe, but see below

And btw, what do i improve with 2 drivers?
power handling/max SPL levels, perhaps bass extension - with appropriate filtering on one of the drivers, mitigation of "baffle step" loss

Note that most of the Mark Audio drivers are 4 ohms nominal, so either series connection or biamping is recommended

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, there are several designs for dual driver enclosures (besides my current hobbyhorse the Castle /tower) which might possibly be better suited to your particular situation than a tall dual mouth BVR or Horn that would be stunning in a larger room (such as your folks' living/dining room :mischiev:) .

edit:

and be aware that it'll be difficult to find consensus on what might be right for you - hell most of us don't agree with ourselves for more than a few weeks (otherwise you'd see far fewer "my latest project" posts on these forums), and you've apparently got months before it's time to push the "go button"

fitting into the room and "working" for the average listening position(s) are not necessarily the same things - ignore that at your own risk

Last edited:
What filters will i need? I will also need some XO or something like that.
I will probably serie-connect them, it's most practical i think.

Can you link some other dual-driver enclosures (still horn or something like that)?
Yes, might be cool to try them on in the livingroom but my dad thinks that nothing can beat a pair of Olle Mirsch OM-61 from the late 70's/early 80's... Yes, they're good but not that good.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/Woden/downloads/Mercia-MLTL-0v92-151209.pdf
What filters will i need? I will also need some XO or something like that.

well, the BSC filter could be all the "XO" you'd need, it would be described as a 1.5way

I will probably serie-connect them, it's most practical i think.
I'm clearly out of my element here, but that could complicate a simple BSC filter applied to one of the drivers.

Can you link some other dual-driver enclosures (still horn or something like that)?
see here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/85410-metronome-76.html#post2146901

well, on second thought, given your placement options, the front/rear facing bipoles designs (i.e. Metronomes, Jim Griffin offset, etc) wouldn't be practical

forgot these:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/Woden/downloads/Mercia-MLTL-0v92-151209.pdf

and surely a dual driver Pensil design has been conceived, if not yet published?

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/markaudio/downloads/MA-Pensil70-map-310709.pdf

Yes, might be cool to try them on in the livingroom but my dad thinks that nothing can beat a pair of Olle Mirsch OM-61 from the late 70's/early 80's... Yes, they're good but not that good.
well, that was mostly in jest - if he's helping with the construction, he might be interested in the sound - but don't discount the performance of a speaker system due to its vintage alone (many of us have a lot of equipment in our collections at would certainly qualify as classics / collectibles/ oddities) and many of them are better than you'd think

Last edited:
Doesn't require the former.

If all you're aiming for is 100Hz (although a single sub. shouldn't really be used above ~70Hz as sound is increasingly directional above that), you might as well just build a small sealed box for the drivers. The will be little or no advantage to you building the Lotus cab., or anything large; they won't have much left to do.

True - it costs gain.

Rullknufs, you could use digital EQ to experiment with the bass cutoff. If you have a multichannel soundcard, that's perfect, but if you only have stereo out, you can assign one channel to the sub and then drive the fullranges with the other mono channel. And then you can EQ each channel separately until they fit well.

Scott - just one unfair question. Weren´t your first DIY projects (boxes, motorbikes, whatever) planned to be the absolute worldbeaters?
Depth of pocket and feet on the ground have to find a common level - and with a Beatles song covered by Joe Cocker in mind, it can be done.:D