Mar-Kel70 in Sweden - Page 91 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2011, 12:01 AM   #901
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
As for bass, wouldn't it be possible to do something like http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-407 in a H-frame? I don't need to go that very deep, so maybe OB works for me? Or maybe my room makes OB impossible?
Old 7th August 2011, 03:41 AM   #902
Lerg is offline Lerg  Canada
diyAudio Member

As far as I know, open baffle usually requires a decent amount of distance between the woofer and the wall. Additionally, after hearing the initial test of the twin EL70, I get the feeling that a really good woofer setup is required to improve upon what it already does.
It makes me curious about building an Exodus Anarchy tapped horn or something similar to take care of the bottom end.
Old 7th August 2011, 09:58 AM   #903
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Rullknufs,

I've also read about the distance between woofer and wall that Lerg mentions in his post - so for smaller rooms OB isn't feasible it seems.

Lerg,

Are your drivers broken in yet? A woofer would definitely help with things, but the EL70s should not be too bad themselves.

I am thinking about tapped horns too, with SDX7.

What material have you tried with the Mar-Kel^2s?
Old 8th August 2011, 01:58 AM   #904
Lerg is offline Lerg  Canada
diyAudio Member

The material is baltic birch, and the spacers are curly maple. Veneer is zebrawood, and the EL70s are great for low end response, far better than they should be. The EL70s that I put in for testing were not broken in, the EL70eN that will find the cabinet as their final home have many hours on them.
Old 8th August 2011, 02:40 AM   #905
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Lerg,

I misunderstood you a bit earlier - I though you had found the bass response lacking ... you had actually meant a nothing short of a really good woofer will have additional impact on the low end that the dual EL70 already delivers. Good to know - my Wessex is nearly finished.

By material I had meant music you played on them for testing.

-Zia
Old 9th August 2011, 03:16 PM   #906
diyAudio Member

I've built a pair of (unsteady) stands today.
Tried some listening now and WOW what a difference in soundstage. They are approximately 90-92cm tall and right now the inner walls of the speakers are around 150cm apart from eachother. Can't move them more without changing cables and i'm not in the mood for that at the moment.

Picture is coming later tonight. In my dusty work clothes from a 5 hour job today with dad building a house (sort of).
Old 9th August 2011, 07:52 PM   #907
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Phone-camera. Not the best but you can see the stands :P
I'm planning on making a 6mm thick plank of the same material to put on the front of the speaker, making a hole for the driver and sanding the edges.

Also going to put the planks of the stands in a concrete plate to get it more stable and putting some sort of plate on top. But this works for now, but don't touch the stands or the speakers because it's really wobbly!
Old 9th August 2011, 08:42 PM   #908
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post

Phone-camera. Not the best but you can see the stands :P
I'm planning on making a 6mm thick plank of the same material to put on the front of the speaker, making a hole for the driver and sanding the edges.

Also going to put the planks of the stands in a concrete plate to get it more stable and putting some sort of plate on top. But this works for now, but don't touch the stands or the speakers because it's really wobbly!

Thick stone tiles or cut-offs from quartz kitchen countertop shop's sink cut-outs make great bases for stands. Stick some felt pads on the bottom and attach a small square of wood to the uprights and glue with silicone to unsealed stone surface and you'll have a pretty sturdy stand.

They just keep getting better don't they ?

Or actually your brain is normalized to the patterns of their particular signature & "distortions" and can concentrate on decoding the information. The relaxation in your listening in not all in the components' break-in, much is in your head.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:06 PM   #909
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Thick stone tiles or cut-offs from quartz kitchen countertop shop's sink cut-outs make great bases for stands. Stick some felt pads on the bottom and attach a small square of wood to the uprights and glue with silicone to unsealed stone surface and you'll have a pretty sturdy stand.

They just keep getting better don't they ?

Or actually your brain is normalized to the patterns of their particular signature & "distortions" and can concentrate on decoding the information. The relaxation in your listening in not all in the components' break-in, much is in your head.
I'm actually going to cast a concrete slab and stick the planks parallel into it with maybe 10-15cm distance between them. Haven't decided on what to have as a top-plate but i guess i'll find something.

By the way, guess what these stands costed me (including the pieces that i'll have for the baffle later on).
68 SEK or around $11
My dad visited the local sawmill to buy some planks for a doghouse we're building (and then selling) and he got some pieces for me, and lots of other planks all for free. Apparently they were "leftover parts", even though they were 1-3.5m long :P
Old 9th August 2011, 11:29 PM   #910
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
and lots of other planks all for free. Apparently they were "leftover parts", even though they were 1-3.5m long :P
Similarily i just got all the material i need for my next geodesic dome (8' greenhouse)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!