Mar-Kel70 in Sweden - Page 84 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2011, 06:58 PM   #831
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
I have read a lot about the Tysen

One foot, should be possible. I don't want to place the speaker too close to the corner anyways. But as i've said many times before. Will it work? I mean, one speaker will stand right next to an open door, and the other will stand in a corner. If the driviers can be mounted on the side i guess that makes it much easier making a stand of the cabinet.

will it work in the sense of giving you more output in the lower frequencies than the EL70s alone - certainly

if you're very limited for space, perhaps front firing would provide more placement flexibility in regards to side walls, etc. - if I recall the room correctly, you are rather limited for adding more boxes
Old 31st May 2011, 07:00 PM   #832
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
will it work in the sense of giving you more output in the lower frequencies than the EL70s alone - certainly

if you're very limited for space, perhaps front firing would provide more placement flexibility in regards to side walls, etc. - if I recall the room correctly, you are rather limited for adding more boxes
Well, the width of the whole setup will be limited. I don't want to place the right channel speaker too far into the corner, and the left channel speaker can't stand in the door. And i'll have to fit an equipment rack inbetween the two speakers. Having front-firing woofers will fit, although i guess it will be difficult making a stand high enough maintaining a reasonable volume of the cabinet.
Old 31st May 2011, 07:09 PM   #833
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Rullknufs, you know I want to build the EL166 MLTLs with single woofer/cabinet - the room I have in mind is on the modest side - around 12 x 14. Is your room bigger? My guess is too much bass/LF in a small space isn't ideal either.
Old 31st May 2011, 07:25 PM   #834
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Rullknufs, you know I want to build the EL166 MLTLs with single woofer/cabinet - the room I have in mind is on the modest side - around 12 x 14. Is your room bigger? My guess is too much bass/LF in a small space isn't ideal either.
I guess my room is about the same size.
Old 31st May 2011, 07:35 PM   #835
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

bingo
Old 8th June 2011, 04:24 AM   #836
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Read that MTM design does not usually have good dispersion characteristics - fact or fiction? With the EL166 MLTL designs, Is it possible to go trapezoidal like Tysen and can that help create taller listening profile?

-Zia
Old 8th June 2011, 05:56 AM   #837
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Read that MTM design does not usually have good dispersion characteristics - fact or fiction?
If you XO at the frequencies you usually see, indeed this can be an issue.

If you XO really low like i did, the driver sare effectively co-incident and all those problems go away.

dave
Old 8th June 2011, 08:24 AM   #838
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
If you XO at the frequencies you usually see, indeed this can be an issue.

If you XO really low like i did, the driver sare effectively co-incident and all those problems go away.

dave
And that's where a quality full range driver can be of help, right? Help me cross smoothly at lower frequencies.

-Zia
Old 8th June 2011, 08:50 AM   #839
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes. You get lobing issues with 2 drivers when the distance between them starts getting large compared to the XO frequency.

At 333 Hz a wavelength is ~40" long. At 2kHz is is under 7". Ideally the centre-to-centre driver distance is 1/4 wavelength, 1/2 wavelength you are starting to have issues.

C-C on my MTM is about 10". In the SEAS Thor it is about 11".

dave
Old 20th June 2011, 04:40 PM   #840
diyAudio Member

Streets Of London by CM Carlsson on Spotify

Playing it out loud and the Mar-Kel70 fills the whole room with the music. Sounds really really good!

Speaker plans are set on ice for the moment. Saving money for travelling instead. Spain two weeks in august. Slovenia in april. Germany, Czech Republic and South Africa in june/july next year. And if i still have money left i'll go to Shetland islands in the winter after that for Up Helly Aa

Hide this!Advertise here!