Mar-Kel70 in Sweden - Page 74 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2011, 07:17 PM   #731
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Mr. Dlugos
What does my dad have to do with this?

dave
Old 28th April 2011, 07:20 PM   #732
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
I have been thinking of a dual-driver Castle-style Micro Tower, but i don't think it would be enough. With my Mar-Kel70 i feel i lack the dynamics and bass impact when listening to the music i posted above. Like the song "Slipping Into Coma" with Raised Fist the bass guitar sounds tiny and weak. On my headphones it sounds as a bass guitar should do.
Old 28th April 2011, 07:49 PM   #733
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I don't think 2 drivers is gonna do it for you on their own. 2 drivers would bring you close to the A10 in dynamics and allow a lower XO, but you are still likely going to need those 2 off 2x10, 2x12 or 15"

Relieving the mid-tweeter of bass duties has an amazingly transformative affect when playing the kind of stuff you are having trouble with.

dave
Old 28th April 2011, 07:52 PM   #734
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
I have been thinking of a dual-driver Castle-style Micro Tower, but i don't think it would be enough. With my Mar-Kel70 i feel i lack the dynamics and bass impact when listening to the music i posted above. Like the song "Slipping Into Coma" with Raised Fist the bass guitar sounds tiny and weak. On my headphones it sounds as a bass guitar should do.
Dave would be able to comment on this better - but I remember Scott Lindgren commenting in one of the "FR and Metal" type of posts that metal and rock music stress the 60Hz -110 Hz range of the drivers most, and this range is not the strongest for FR drivers... maybe because of that some sounds will not carry the weight we expect? I guess pop and synth bass comes out pretty good. Like the beat and bass in Kylie Minogue's (yes Dave I chose Kylie on purpose ) Je ne sais pas pourquoi sounded full and quite heavy... also same with most new age instrumentals... not so with metal (specially from mid volume levels). It looks like other frequencies get boosted more quickly and you are left with a thin sound. You can try playing around with an software equalizer and draw some more conclusions.

I am eagerly waiting for my carpenter to get well so that he can finish my Castle MTs.

-Zia
Old 28th April 2011, 07:54 PM   #735
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I don't think 2 drivers is gonna do it for you on their own. 2 drivers would bring you close to the A10 in dynamics and allow a lower XO, but you are still likely going to need those 2 off 2x10, 2x12 or 15"

Relieving the mid-tweeter of bass duties has an amazingly transformative affect when playing the kind of stuff you are having trouble with.

dave
But the A10.2 still has overall better sound than the EL70 i guess since it's almost 3x as expensive. Although it would be cheaper for me to just buy another pair of EL70 than a pair of A10.2

What woofers could be used? Prio one is to get them to match the full-range drivers well. I don't want the bass to be overwhelming, slow or inaudible. I want bass that is there when it is needed, and it fits well into the sound. Need no teenage rumbling.

Will hook up the S-1 tomorrow and play around with different XO and hear myself if it will clear up the sound.
Old 28th April 2011, 08:00 PM   #736
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Dave would be able to comment on this better - but I remember Scott Lindgren commenting in one of the "FR and Metal" type of posts that metal and rock music stress the 60Hz -110 Hz range of the drivers most, and this range is not the strongest for FR drivers... maybe because of that some sounds will not carry the weight we expect? I guess pop and synth bass comes out pretty good. Like the beat and bass in Kylie Minogue's (yes Dave I chose Kylie on purpose ) Je ne sais pas pourquoi sounded full and quite heavy... also same with most new age instrumentals... not so with metal (specially from mid volume levels). It looks like other frequencies get boosted more quickly and you are left with a thin sound. You can try playing around with an software equalizer and draw some more conclusions.

I am eagerly waiting for my carpenter to get well so that he can finish my Castle MTs.

-Zia
Yes, the "electronic" bass comes out well. Like the one in this song Beverly Hills Cop (Axel F) - Movie Best Themes - Spotify
I think it's only available on spotify though

This song also works out well Suliman - Infected Mushroom - Spotify

And ofcourse this song Jungle Bill - Single Version - Yello - Spotify
That Yello song is one of my personal favorites. It gets just better the louder it is. The bass should not be too loud like most teenage systems. Just being able to play loud and clear and feel the bass in your chest.

For this song Minimal Animal - Krumelur - Spotify i run out of excursion very early. But i guess this is deeper than normal bass.

Also for this i run out of excursion way too early to play at decent levels Poem Of Chinese Drum - Hok-man Yim, Traditional - Spotify
Old 28th April 2011, 08:05 PM   #737
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You need bass drivers with extended HF response. Look for woofers, not subwoofers. Zia meantions the midbass... to cover this stuff really only requires 30-40 Hz. (32 Hz is nice since that is low note on a bass)

I chose 4 x SDX10 for my low woofers (and in my statement build will also have 4xSDX7 per side) to give me XO flexibility. (ie a FAST + subwoofers)

But one can achieve good things with less. 2 or 4 of these per side in Scott's ML-TL produce quite good results Markaudio woofer No 6 W - Lautsprecher Selbstbau by blue planet acoustic

Click the image to open in full size. OR Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 28th April 2011, 08:07 PM   #738
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
What does my dad have to do with this?

dave
Everything!

Without a Mr. Dlugos, there'd be no Dave Dlugos. Without a Dave Dlugos, there'd be no Ruth Dlugos. Without a Ruth Dlugos, there'd be no order at the DIY Fest, the forests would have been set on fire and a whole bunch of Audio Idiots would be walking around wondering why there's no place to try out their gear.

Personally speaking, I'd be without a friend and the World would be a "much" smaller place. (As an aside, Dave "is" a physically large person and like they say: There ain't no replacement for displacement!)

As a matter of fact, I actually was thinking about your Dad the other day, when I was out chopping wood.

Best Regards,
Terry
Old 28th April 2011, 08:12 PM   #739
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
there'd be no Ruth Dlugos.
There is no Ruth Dlugos... Ruth de Fehr (at least not here, google shows one in NY)

dave
Old 28th April 2011, 08:15 PM   #740
diyAudio Member

Interesting. €38 per side isn't that much. But will they sound nice? Integrate well with the EL70?
Any cabinet tips?

For low woofers i do have my cheapish subs which are compared to the Peerless SLS10 if i'd want some deepers bass (i doubt though).
Is there any differences between the black and white version of the markaudio woofers?

Hide this!Advertise here!