Mar-Kel70 in Sweden - Page 73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2011, 01:21 PM   #721
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

If you like percussions try the SACD version of Peter Gabriel's Passion. Excellent! Even the standard CD is good.
Old 28th April 2011, 06:30 PM   #722
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

this is what it's all about - getting excited about the music

amazing that these little guys can do that, huh?
Old 28th April 2011, 06:54 PM   #723
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
this is what it's all about - getting excited about the music

amazing that these little guys can do that, huh?
Aye.

I've been thinking about projects i'd like to do in the future. Like a Troels DTQWT as a final build. I expect it to play like speakers for $20k or more. I've found that the Burmester B80 could be built for less than one tenth of its price
Old 28th April 2011, 07:08 PM   #724
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Having lived with a single FR, you might find yourself dissappointed with something like the DTQWT (which, from a theoretical POV has a fatal flaw besides the XO).

dave
Old 28th April 2011, 07:10 PM   #725
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Having lived with a single FR, you might find yourself dissappointed with something like the DTQWT (which, from a theoretical POV has a fatal flaw besides the XO).

dave
Well, a single FR wouldn't be able to achieve the same SPL as the DTQWT would. I don't see how a FR driver would play with high spl at ~25Hz.

What's the flaw you're talking about? And what's the problem with the XO?
Old 28th April 2011, 07:31 PM   #726
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A single FR wouldn't play as load, but a FAST could likely.

The fatal flaw is that the midrange is going to be modulated by the bass drivers since they are in the same enclosure. It would also be interesting to see a sim, since most voigts get quit rippley without some sort of mass load.

XOs are evil, if one needs to use one, it should not be in the ears most sensitive area (ie 2-4k) and drivers need to be real close (relative to the XO frequency, 1/2 w/l).

DTQWT might work fine (probably does witin the context) and i could be out to lunch, but it is hard to imagine not being able to take the same bass drivers, a pair of Alpair10.2 and an extra amp and not be able to come up with something more seamless for less money.

dave
Old 28th April 2011, 07:45 PM   #727
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A single FR wouldn't play as load, but a FAST could likely.

The fatal flaw is that the midrange is going to be modulated by the bass drivers since they are in the same enclosure. It would also be interesting to see a sim, since most voigts get quit rippley without some sort of mass load.

XOs are evil, if one needs to use one, it should not be in the ears most sensitive area (ie 2-4k) and drivers need to be real close (relative to the XO frequency, 1/2 w/l).

DTQWT might work fine (probably does witin the context) and i could be out to lunch, but it is hard to imagine not being able to take the same bass drivers, a pair of Alpair10.2 and an extra amp and not be able to come up with something more seamless for less money.

dave
If i want to reach house-rumbling sound levels? I feel that i can't really play loud enough with my Mar-Kel70. And for rock music it sounds like it gets too much for one driver. Sounds completely different (and better) on my headphones (yes i know it's also like full-range).

Music i listen to (and i like to listen as loud as possible) is like this
Slipping Into Coma - Raised Fist - Spotify
Age of Rage - Corroded - Spotify
The Walk - Periphery - Spotify
Legion - Slaughterlord Cover - At The Gates - Spotify
Numb - Disturbed - Spotify

And with a floorstander it gets easier to place them compared to standmounts and separate subs. I could use the Reckhorn S-1 for XO, since it's AFAIK a good XO. But i'd need several amps, and that brings the costs up.
Old 28th April 2011, 08:02 PM   #728
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FAST your EL70 and just see how much more can be had out of them...

My suggestion was for A10.2 which being larger will have more dynamic capability. One should be able to easily aquire an amp within the budget saved from A10.2 vrs midbass+waveguide tweeter and all those XO parts (the big coils are $73 each all by themselves)

dave
Old 28th April 2011, 08:10 PM   #729
diyAudio Member

Have no subs to FAST my EL70 right now.
And if i XO at 100Hz i still don't know how loud i dare playing before frying the voice coils. I have the S-1 somewhere in my room. Could hook it up tomorrow. AFAIK it's 24db/octave HP-filter in it, could try that.
Old 28th April 2011, 08:12 PM   #730
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Rullknufs,

I am no expert, but maybe you should try the Micro Towers (bi-pole design)... Chrisb says bass is huge with 2 EL70/cabinet.

Otherwise as Mr. Dlugos has pointed out you should consider FAST... I am in love with FR when it comes to most of the music, but not so when it comes to metal or thrash. the BIBs with Fostex FE166en which sounds spacious and dynamic on other types music sound much smaller and thinner when it comes to metal... For me I have realized that will probably have to go FAST in the long run... rgd headphones I have always had my best metal/thrash listening on headphones.

I have Super Pensil 12s and Castle MT made though... need to try them out first.

-Zia

Hide this!Advertise here!