Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Long time no speak. I decided to let the damage in the wood be, it's barely visible and if you don't know about it you most likely wont see it.

I did a close measurement of one of my dMar-Kel70T today, here's the result.
6QnyqKB.jpg

I thought I removed the smoothing but apparently I didn't and now I have already removed the setup. Distance was about 11-12cm and I tried to get it as on-axis as possible. Measured with a MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphone and REW.

It's very flat up to like 5kHz and an exception at 600-750Hz.

Just for comparison, here's a picture of my current speakers. This is without smoothing though but same measuring conditions.
closeup+diskant.jpg

It's very flat up to like 5kHz and an exception at 600-750Hz.

It's a very nice speaker. Listening to mine right now on my desk. There will never be another EL70 :bawling: Very sad.

Important to note though, nearfield isn't much good above 1khz depending on the driver size. Because you were out a little bit, it's fairly reliable though. And the bass response! Very nice!!!

Just for comparison, here's a picture of my current speakers. This is without smoothing though but same measuring conditions.

Same mic distance also? This is a multi way isn't it? You can't do that. The mic is to close to the drivers to properly show the XO region. Distance from driver to microphone will cause problems. And if you're on the tweeter axis, the woofers are further away. Which is why the treble level looks so high.

Back up to 1.3m next time ;)

Nice work :up:

It's a very nice speaker. Listening to mine right now on my desk. There will never be another EL70 :bawling: Very sad.

Important to note though, nearfield isn't much good above 1khz depending on the driver size. Because you were out a little bit, it's fairly reliable though. And the bass response! Very nice!!!

Same mic distance also? This is a multi way isn't it? You can't do that. The mic is to close to the drivers to properly show the XO region. Distance from driver to microphone will cause problems. And if you're on the tweeter axis, the woofers are further away. Which is why the treble level looks so high.

Yeah, the bass response is nice, and it fits well in with my room's response. Where the speaker starts falling off the room gives more gain down to about 40-45Hz and then it falls off rapidly. That's why the Mar-Kel70 had such good bass performance in my room.

Yes, it's a multi-way. A D'Appolito configuration with 6" woofers and a tweeter. The mic was on the tweeter axis.

Why just 1.3m and not 1m or 1.5m?

You could back up to 2m if you wanted. But go outside if going much beyond 1m. The further back, the more reflections you'll introduce into the measurement. There's a way to handle those measurements at the expense of low frequency data. Windowing. In REW there is a windowing function, it's a bit of a PITA though. But if you set the right side window to 4ms, you'll be good in most rooms. That's a guess, but should do ok. But then your measurement won't be much good below 600hz. You gotta go outside to get good data. Or have a room with vaulted ceilings?

Patience, new models in transit (A10P) or further down the development pipeline ( A8P?) could well equal or surpass the EL70 - consider how far the A7 and 10 's have progressed in the several years since the EL70's debut.

And of course an entrepreneur with suitable investment capital could commission an OEM driver not unlike the EL70. How about a kickstarter financed group buy? We could start by redeeming our beer & pop cans - I imagine $10K could get Mark's attention :D

certainly one of the reasons that smaller FR sizes ( FF58WK, A6M &P, etc) work so very well in the computer desk-top/very nearfield (often little more than 2 ft )

+2

Reflection artifacts at the receiving end? I don't really understand.

reflections from whatever device / fixture the mike is mounted to ( clamped to a step ladder, etc)

if you wanted to get crazy, you could bury the speaker facing up with baffle flush with the ground, and suspend the mike by overhead cable attached to support at least 10 times the furthest measuring distance (and before you ask, that's a number I just pulled out of my a$$)

reflections from whatever device / fixture the mike is mounted to ( clamped to a step ladder, etc)

if you wanted to get crazy, you could bury the speaker facing up with baffle flush with the ground, and suspend the mike by overhead cable attached to support at least 10 times the furthest measuring distance (and before you ask, that's a number I just pulled out of my a$$)

Ah, that makes sense. It seems like a whole lot of work to be able to do a good measurement. We'll see if I feel crazy enough some day this summer :D

Patience, new models in transit (A10P) or further down the development pipeline ( A8P?) could well equal or surpass the EL70 - consider how far the A7 and 10 's have progressed in the several years since the EL70's debut.

Ya, but for $50/each?

It seems like a whole lot of work to be able to do a good measurement.

Which is why they don't get done often. Once you get a setup routine you're used to, it's not so bad. It really is a PITA though.

Once you know the "anechoic" response of your speakers, you don't have to do it again though. While you're at it, I suggest at least a few horizontal off axis shots. Then you can spend the rest of your measuring time in the room looking at <300hz.

Ya, but for $50/each?

To be honest, I could see any of several scenarios;

-future revision to current model- say the CHP70 - requiring no new tooling development and only minor tweaking of parts details,

-the modular approach that Mark has talked about that would reduce by hand assembly costs,

- an OEM paper model based on existing parts, at less than the strict standards of Alpairs

- someone wins the Superball lotto and needs to gift away a few tens of millions of dollars - with every pair of $50 each drivers, Mark personally delivers them in his Gulfstream, along with amplifier of your choice (but you only get the first one free)

OK, at least one of those is not likely to happen

Interesting... Lots of alcohol and a night club in Germany seems to have cured my sensitivity for loud sounds. I was pretty drunk at the club and I had no problems standing at the dance floor for an hour or two while the music was really loud (can't remember how loud but i saw massive JBL speakers in the ceiling). I was at a graduation party the day after, also drunk, and had no problems with loud music.

Have been playing music pretty loudly at home today, no problems at all. I think I would have felt some pain before but I don't know.