Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

How low do these go?
I'm playing some japanese/chinese/korean song with some pretty insane bass and i must say they do well without a sub.
I'd really like to hear a pair of Lotus^2 loaded with a pair of EL70 ;)

I mean, i'm playing louder than usual now to this song with insane bass and still they play it well. Really "quick" bass.

If anybody wants the song i could upload it, since it's impossible to find somewhere else on the internet.

I'm having an interesting DIY discussion with a guy and we both wonder how many Mar-Kel70 speakers that exists? I've built on pair, and i guess you guys have built a couple of them. Can it be 5-10 pairs or something?

Still listening to music without the subwoofer :p

It would be interesting to know how many builds there have been of the various designs penned by Scott / Dave over the past decade - I'm thinking hundreds of pairs (excluding my own :rolleyes: )

Coniston^2 for EL70. I'm going to be trying a set of Thirlmere-R as helper woofers in an EL70/Alpair5 FAST. The ability of the EL70 to produce bass belies its size.

dave

Ah, yeah :)

I was talking to a guy and i couldn't explain it. I just said that you have to hear it to believe it. I even think my dad was impressed by the bass they play ;)

By the way, i found some vintage stuff today. An AGA radio with tubes (Philips EM80, EF85, EL84 and some other tube) and one mid/treble driver with this weird style magnet (Alnico?) and an oval-shaped sub, a little larger than a 6x9". The box isn't sealed at all so it's pretty much like open baffle. I'm missing the antenna for the radio though so i haven't heard it yet.

I also found a His Master's Voice LP-player with a speaker with the same style magnet as in the radio. I took some pics which i might upload :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm having an interesting DIY discussion with a guy and we both wonder how many Mar-Kel70 speakers that exists? I've built on pair, and i guess you guys have built a couple of them. Can it be 5-10 pairs or something?

Here is a pic of one of a pair in Finland.

dave

Attachments

• finnish-MarKel.jpg
    finnish-MarKel.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 180
Right now i listen to Magnum - Chasing The Dragon on a Hitachi HT-354 turntable with a Stanton 500 pickup thingie.
I'm lucky to have my dad, without him i wouldn't know at all how to get it running. Haha :D

I also tried the His Master's Voice (model seems to be "Type 620") which worked aswell, really cool!

Some sorts of death metal can sound a little "thin" with just the EL70.
Now i listen to YouTube - Periphery - 'The Walk' Instrumental (High Quality) and they deliver really heavy bass, had to go check if the subwoofer was on or not (which it isn't). It's really cool.

I wish that all people who says small driver can't deliver bass could listen to the EL70. The bass is like the bass from an 8" or bigger subwoofer! Yeah, you can't play at party volumes but for normal listening and a little louder it's more than enough :D

And that from the small Mar-Kel70... A bigger enclosure should be even cooler.