Mar-Kel70 in Sweden - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2010, 05:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Well, could possibly move the speakers around 10cm further away from eachother and sit maybe 20-30cm further back if needed.

Well, is a Lotus good for my room (both 1 and 2 speaker version)?

And is it possible to have 1 driver in the front and one on the back?
Old 8th April 2010, 06:24 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Well, could possibly move the speakers around 10cm further away from eachother and sit maybe 20-30cm further back if needed.

Well, is a Lotus good for my room (both 1 and 2 speaker version)?

And is it possible to have 1 driver in the front and one on the back?

Niklas - we should let the enclosure's designer ( Scott) answer those, but I can't help but suspect that

- 30cm (approx 12") might not make enough difference

(edit: i.e. that's a total separation of 5.7 ft,, which is probably fine, but at a listening distance of 8.5ft I think you could have some problems of integration . I don't own a pair of any of the dual mouth systems, but on the several occasions I've heard them, they've been in much larger spaces with listening distances of at least 3-4meters )

- dual drivers would be fine on either the front or side of the chamber, but not so much on the rear

There are numerous bipole designs that would work:

Metronome

I'm not sure if there's a link yet to designs for bipole version with Mark Audio drivers?

Jim Griffin's offset MLTL

http://homepage.mac.com/planet10/CSS...ltl-100909.pdf

P10 microtower (page 4)

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...aps-150909.pdf

Scott's "Wessex"

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...v92-151209.pdf

etc), but you'll need at least 50cm (preferably more) with a rear firing driver. I keep coming back to the suggestion of the Castle version (i.e. upward firing second driver) of the microtower design for this type of situation.

Last edited by chrisb; 8th April 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: elaboration on listening position
Old 8th April 2010, 06:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
Niklas, apply breaks please. With the help you get here you will get boxes built you couldn´t even afford after your doctorate. 10cm are no faffing problem. Go and smell some sawdust, it´s fun.
Old 8th April 2010, 06:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I wont do this until the summer. Got no money right now. Just spent around 230$ on a new gfx card and will spend another 300$ as soon as i can on an Intel X25 80gb SSD.
But, will do some work in a few weeks (when the snow is gone) and earn some money that way too.

But, i am pretty sure it will be Lotus (wasen't it Scott who told me about them?) with 1 or 2 drivers...
Old 8th April 2010, 06:56 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wont do this until the summer. Got no money right now. Just spent around 230$ on a new gfx card and will spend another 300$ as soon as i can on an Intel X25 80gb SSD.
But, will do some work in a few weeks (when the snow is gone) and earn some money that way too.

But, i am pretty sure it will be Lotus (wasen't it Scott who told me about them?) with 1 or 2 drivers...

Several months allows plenty of time for numerous spins on the design carousel, by which time there may even be greater choice of drivers and accompanying designs at the DIY smorgasbord
Old 8th April 2010, 06:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes, that's right but i ain't got money at the moment and my working space is very limited. I will do the building outdoors, wouldn't even get a 4x8ft board into the workshop!

Smörgåsbord, hehe

Edit: Btw, what's the difference between Coniston and Lotus? They look the same to me.

Last edited by Rullknufs; 8th April 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 8th April 2010, 07:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
Even with drivers available in €uroland? Wantit, wantit, wantit!
Old 8th April 2010, 07:58 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, that's right but i ain't got money at the moment and my working space is very limited. I will do the building outdoors, wouldn't even get a 4x8ft board into the workshop!

Smörgåsbord, hehe

Edit: Btw, what's the difference between Coniston and Lotus? They look the same to me.

Similar topology, but tuned for the different T/S parameters of the EL70 (paper) and CHR70 (metal cone)

Coniston is taller and wider, with slightly larger driver chamber, and substantially different dimensions to throat and mouth of vents.

Of course, either driver would "work" in either box, but not optimally.

and if my suspicions as to minimal listening distance are correct, the taller enclosure would exacerbate the integration problem in a smallish room
Old 8th April 2010, 08:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Lotus should be OK; it's shorter than the others. Conniston would be pushing it though.

Bipoles (forward & rear-firing) would be a bad idea; you'd have to pull the boxes out from the boundaries. Ditto with semi-omni (could've sworn I've already said this...) with the side-firing unit. If you want twin drivers per channel, in that room, get them both on the front baffle, as close together as possible.

Quote:
Btw, what's the difference between Coniston and Lotus? They look the same to me.
Take a look at the dimensions.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

So, the Coniston is too big for my room. Right?

Then maybe a Lotus with 2x drivers will be the thing?
And btw, what do i improve with 2 drivers?

Hide this!Advertise here!