Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Try to make do without first. Good capacitors for a passive Xover in that frequency range...we´re talking about real money here.:eek:

But a cap on the input of the amp driving the EL70 would be cheap (and much better) -- if you can get at the signal where you need (ideally between pre & power amp, with a feed to the sub before)

dave

Up and running for the first time!
Think i'll buy a little gift for my dad as thanks for the help, but i can buy any beer or wine or such... Gotta be some chocolate or something then ;)
Well, first impression is... I'm not used to it at all. I have listened hundreds of hours on my dynavoice system and i'm used to how that sounds like. But i think it's a little "thin" but i wont judge them really untill they're played in. Have only played for around 20 minutes now.
Btw, what i xmax for these ones?

And, i have to trix with settings for my sub, crossover volume and everything so that part isn't finished either. And, i got no dampening in the boxes at all. Didn't have any at the moment but dad's gonna get some rockwool for me. And i haven't made sure the brace fits to the magnet either. And top part isn't glued but they're ALMOST finished :D But my dad was so tired to we'll continue another day when we have the rockwool.

Up and running for the first time!
Think i'll buy a little gift for my dad as thanks for the help, but i can buy any beer or wine or such... Gotta be some chocolate or something then ;)
Well, first impression is... I'm not used to it at all. I have listened hundreds of hours on my dynavoice system and i'm used to how that sounds like. But i think it's a little "thin" but i wont judge them really untill they're played in. Have only played for around 20 minutes now.
Btw, what i xmax for these ones?

And, i have to trix with settings for my sub, crossover volume and everything so that part isn't finished either. And, i got no dampening in the boxes at all. Didn't have any at the moment but dad's gonna get some rockwool for me. And i haven't made sure the brace fits to the magnet either. And top part isn't glued but they're ALMOST finished :D But my dad was so tired to we'll continue another day when we have the rockwool.

I'd suggest you reserve opinions until the boxes are properly buttoned up, damping and braces fully engaged and the drivers broken in.

Also it certainly wouldn't hurt to form a benchmark reference for the natural sound of the Mark Audio drivers - i.e. perhaps directly from your dads "old rig"?

and maybe you could talk your mum in to acquiring the appropriate adult beverage as your token of appreciation (no doubt she'd know all of dad's favorites )

I'd suggest you reserve opinions until the boxes are properly buttoned up, damping and braces fully engaged and the drivers broken in.

Also it certainly wouldn't hurt to form a benchmark reference for the natural sound of the Mark Audio drivers - i.e. perhaps directly from your dads "old rig"?

and maybe you could talk your mum in to acquiring the appropriate adult beverage as your token of appreciation (no doubt she'd know all of dad's favorites )

Yes. I will say my final thought when they're finished. But, this is still the test-build in particleboard but i don't think the money for the birchply is really worth it. I'd rather spend it on something to power the subs.

And what do you mean with natural sound benchmark? Compare with my HK amp and the ol' Hitachi? Or compare these speakers to my dad's Olle Mirsch OM-61?

Oh, why didn't i think of asking mom. Gotta talk to her about that ;)

And what do you mean with natural sound benchmark? Compare with my HK amp and the ol' Hitachi? Or compare these speakers to my dad's Olle Mirsch OM-61?

By "natural sound" I meant without any signal processing/ EQ or XO for the subs, just raw full range - driven by the Hitachi was exactly what I had in mind. That would give you a benchmark for how the HK amp and associated accessories affected the sonics. Of course it could also be interesting to compare to dad's speakers as well.

Oh, why didn't i think of asking mom. Gotta talk to her about that ;)

moms are usually willing to help out, and she'll likely appreciate the gesture at least as much as your dad

By "natural sound" I meant without any signal processing/ EQ or XO for the subs, just raw full range - driven by the Hitachi was exactly what I had in mind. That would give you a benchmark for how the HK amp and associated accessories affected the sonics. Of course it could also be interesting to compare to dad's speakers as well.

moms are usually willing to help out, and she'll likely appreciate the gesture at least as much as your dad

Well. Sounds like i'll have to dig out the ol' Nakamichi CD Player then. All i got is integrated soundcards but my HK has a DAC and the Hitachi doesn't. So it will be unfair i think. I could try with the OM-61's but that might take a while. Lots of job to do it. Will take more than an hour to set it all up :S

Well. Sounds like i'll have to dig out the ol' Nakamichi CD Player then. All i got is integrated soundcards but my HK has a DAC and the Hitachi doesn't. So it will be unfair i think. I could try with the OM-61's but that might take a while. Lots of job to do it. Will take more than an hour to set it all up :S

Keep it as simple as possible - you just want a "taste test" to "benchmark" the Mark Audio drivers with as little signal processing as possible - and it sounds like that'd probably be easier to attain with the Nak CD player and Hitachi than the HK/computer soundcard rig.

but of course being of a similar generation to your dad, I'd be inclined to think that

I can't edit so i'll have to make a new post :S
Well, i just have to walk past the speaker (which happens everytime somebody enter or exit my room) to make the sound go down a little with some crackle. Why?

loose connection / cold solder joint to the input terminals?

did you test the drivers before installing in the cabinets?

Mark's QC is excellent, and we've yet to see a defective pair (you don't want to know what he does when parts fail his personal inspection on the assembly line)

loose connection / cold solder joint to the input terminals?

did you test the drivers before installing in the cabinets?

Mark's QC is excellent, and we've yet to see a defective pair (you don't want to know what he does when parts fail his personal inspection on the assembly line)

We haven't soldered anything. We use cable-shoes. If i have the amp on and stand on the floor next to the speakers and stomp carefully you can hear it. I'll take a look at that.
We did try to solder onto the speaker terminals but the 4mm2 wire was too thick to be soldered. Will take a look at that when i put the damping material in, but it can't be dangerous for the speakers. Right?

If the wire is top thick to be soldered, it is probably too thick. We use solid core 0,2 mm^2 wire.

dave

beat me to it - 4mm^2 = approx AWG #10?

you should be able to get by with #20 inside the speaker (indeed as Dave notes, we generally use single strand of #24 from CAT5 network cable, but that's our own quirk ) - this is not a high powered sub woofer pulling several amps of current