Mar-Kel70 in Sweden - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2010, 05:39 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Wow!
Old 2nd May 2010, 06:16 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
106 dB/W/m...your neighbors might apply for a firearms permit.
Old 5th May 2010, 08:06 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Maybe a Tysen with EL70 and SDX7 or what the name was?
Trying to find some birchplywood. Think i'll find it soon
Old 5th May 2010, 09:58 PM   #124
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Maybe a Tysen with EL70 and SDX7 or what the name was?
Trying to find some birchplywood. Think i'll find it soon

what exactly is the question?

From my point of view, the "Tysen" was an experiment to combine the stunning little Fostex FF85K and mid-woofers in as compact a form factor as possible. FWIW, I'd be inclined to use a different name if other driver complement was utilized.

We just happened to have CSS SDX7 woofers on hand, and they certainly fit the bill in terms of performance/size ratio, but no doubt there are any number of suitable and even lower cost candidates for the bass support.

Of course the general concept of what has been dubbed "FAST" could easily be accomplished with any of the smaller Mark Audio drivers serving as mid/tweeter - for example, the Alpair 5.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:08 PM   #125
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are a huge number of possible Tysen-inspired FAST systems. The next one we are working on will use 2 #6 MA woofers per side and a replaceable HF module. Modules for FF85 & Alpair 5 are 1st on the agenda, but (except for getting XO right), EL70, CHR70, Alpair 7, or <pick your favorite 6" or less FR here> can all fit.

dave
Old 5th May 2010, 10:36 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Dave, I have a bit of spare time at the moment - if you can mail me the impedance response of the bass drivers you have in mind, running a few passive Xover simulations is not a problem. Emil is HPHinder at kabelmail dot de

Last edited by Pit Hinder; 5th May 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:17 PM   #127
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Bass drivers should be here shortly (coming by air from HK, then by Canada Post from Abbotsford).

The box design (1st pass) is done. Chris will be able to blast them off pretty quick. The HF cabinet i have envisioned is a bit more complex, but impedance should be similar, but flatter than Tysen HF.

Raw prototype, free air impedance for woofers here Mark's proto 6.5" Woofer, 1" silk Tweet combo, we'll be usig 2 in parallel

dave
Old 6th May 2010, 10:22 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Sorry - I guess I was a bit quick off the starting blocks here.
IŽd need frequency and impedance response as numbers, not plots (I still work with AudioCad, the greyhairedest sim prog in compooter history) and measured in the intended cabs to try for a Xover.

Should have remembered SOP: "Switch brain on before using keyboard"

Last edited by Pit Hinder; 6th May 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 6th May 2010, 06:45 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Should be possible to buy plywood from Nordicply
Emailed them yesterday but haven't been aswered yet.

But. Feels like FAST is the thing i'm looking for. What drivers will i be using, what cabinet? What do you recommend?
I saw the SDX7 costed 100$ each so that's 210-220$ with shipping. If the fr drivers costs let's say 70-80 each? What do you recommend?

Btw, i do need a pretty good punch at the bass.
Audioslave - Shadow On The Sun
Disturbed - Conflict (After 3:10)
Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack

I was at a swedish Hi-Fi store on the tuesday listening to NAD T747 and B&W DM684 and i didn't like listening to those tracks above with that setup. They lacked too much in the bottom, much better at home. Ofc it was all different when turning on Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live but that was quite obvious.
And after that i went listening to NAD M3 and B&W DM683. They were a little better but still it felt like the bottom was missing.
After that i went to another room containing a pair of Dali Helicon 400 Mk2 speakers powered by some Lyngdorf stereo amp costing around 2200$. They were MUCH better, only missing a very very little at the very bottom.
I understand that the room has a big effect on the bass, but still. Will the SDX7 be able to deliver what i want in my room? Since the speakers will stand pretty close to the wall and one in a corner.
Btw, i bought some stone plates on tuesday aswell. Places my speakers and my sub on them but didn't notice any big difference in floor vibration or sound. Why?

Last edited by Rullknufs; 6th May 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 6th May 2010, 07:07 PM   #130
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Should be possible to buy plywood from Nordicply
Emailed them yesterday but haven't been aswered yet.

But. Feels like FAST is the thing i'm looking for. What drivers will i be using, what cabinet? What do you recommend?
I saw the SDX7 costed 100$ each so that's 210-220$ with shipping. If the fr drivers costs let's say 70-80 each? What do you recommend?
That certainly looks like the right plywood - hopefully the "at your door" price will be within your budget.

As mentioned earlier, we happened to have the SDX7 on hand - there are probably more than a few lower cost candidates that would suffice for the bass driver.

As for the FR driver, have you firmed your decision as to brand? If you're not already aware, the local distributor for MarkAudio is :

Dealer Listing for Sweden | Markaudio

If you're interested in the paper coned OEM drivers by Mark, I'm sure he could advise where they'd be available.

and since the original Tysen included Fostex:

benum.se

of course, I'm not certain if they carry the DIY raw drivers - no doubt other forum members could clarify that point

Hide this!Advertise here!