Mar-Kel70 in Sweden - Page 114 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2012, 06:27 PM   #1131
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Very true, but I would have to know baffle size and maybe bsc or stuff like that?

It wouldn't be a very expensive project and not much cabinet building so I'm not afraid to try.
Old 14th August 2012, 07:12 PM   #1132
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Niklas, to restate what I've likely noted before, I think the issue will be the room - placement etc for a large enough OB or H-frame, with drivers of that dimension.

Another option could be a Ripole - very compact packaging for size of drivers, but still not without placement concerns due to their dipole radiation pattern.

I'd suggest that a smaller driver such as 8" woofer (not a deep digging HT sub) would be a more appropriate candidate for this application.
Old 14th August 2012, 08:18 PM   #1133
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You won't know till you try it.

dave
He hasn't tried that!?!? That was the advise we all gave you months ago.

Go do that first. I'm beginning to think you want someone to do the work for you or something...
Old 14th August 2012, 08:25 PM   #1134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Niklas, to restate what I've likely noted before, I think the issue will be the room - placement etc for a large enough OB or H-frame, with drivers of that dimension.

Another option could be a Ripole - very compact packaging for size of drivers, but still not without placement concerns due to their dipole radiation pattern.

I'd suggest that a smaller driver such as 8" woofer (not a deep digging HT sub) would be a more appropriate candidate for this application.
Exactly what would the placement problems be? That they are too close to the wall? Too close to a door? Too close to a corner? Too small room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
He hasn't tried that!?!? That was the advise we all gave you months ago.

Go do that first. I'm beginning to think you want someone to do the work for you or something...
No, I haven't tried it. I don't want someone to do the work for me, I'm just very afraid of having to design crossovers myself. I don't want to trial&error for a year or two to get something that sounds ok. I want to build something that sounds good at the first try.
Old 14th August 2012, 09:33 PM   #1135
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

I know Bob Brines successfully used h-frames in a hotel room at the Lone Star fest. I think he used eminence 18" but the room was a little bigger than yours.
Old 14th August 2012, 09:36 PM   #1136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
I know Bob Brines successfully used h-frames in a hotel room at the Lone Star fest. I think he used eminence 18" but the room was a little bigger than yours.
No, Goldwood GR-1858's.

Bob
Old 14th August 2012, 09:39 PM   #1137
diyAudio Member

Found some Swedish guy on a Swedish forum who is building some pretty big stuff.
Click the image to open in full size.
That's his biggest speaker, but of course he has smalled ones as well. And I think he's selling flat paks too.

I've tried to register to that forum but something's not working. I will try to get in touch with this guy though and see what he has to offer me. He seems to have the same goals as me, but maybe his are slightly bigger
Old 14th August 2012, 10:03 PM   #1138
diyAudio Member

I can give you a basic xo to try with your el70s that's very simple. You have a minidsp right? You won't spend a year on these and get no where. Even if you did, this is DIY. That's fun.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:07 PM   #1139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I can give you a basic xo to try with your el70s that's very simple. You have a minidsp right? You won't spend a year on these and get no where. Even if you did, this is DIY. That's fun.
No, no miniDSP. I have a Reckhorn S-1 active XO.
Old 15th August 2012, 06:56 AM   #1140
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Exactly what would the placement problems be? That they are too close to the wall? Too close to a door? Too close to a corner? Too small room?
any, or multiples of your list

as I'm pretty sure was mentioned months ago, your room is small, and will ultimately limit what you can achieve - if you were to add enough acoustic treatment to control the bass you're seeking, there might not be enough room for the bed - less could be more

Quote:
No, I haven't tried it. I don't want someone to do the work for me, I'm just very afraid of having to design crossovers myself. I don't want to trial&error for a year or two to get something that sounds ok. I want to build something that sounds good at the first try.
40+ years on for some of us, and that goal is still elusive - now does that sound like something a "dad" would say? - thanks to my kids, I'm rather more peaceful since surrendering to that

enjoy the journey, Niklas

Hide this!Advertise here!