Mar-Kel70 in Sweden - Page 111 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2012, 03:31 PM   #1101
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Okay, I've taken a look at those builds. Not much info really, but I'll follow the progress.

Do you think it would work good with an Eminence Beta-8A, Denovo DNA-350/360 (which one is best?) and some kind of waveguide/horn like the 18sound XT1086? Passive XO?
Old 19th July 2012, 04:34 PM   #1102
diyAudio Member

Yes, all those builds are quite fresh and just taking off. Info will come with time.

Funny you mention the Beta-8A. I plan on getting a pair of Alpha 8As instead of the Silver Flute W20s. I'll probably do both and see which I like better. The Beta can't dig down past 100hz without going ported. But you're using subs, sooo...

The DNA-350 would be fine for an 8". In fact, it would be overkill. I may do it, but still thinking the DNA-150 is more than enough. Time will tell.

I'm sure the combination of DNA-350 and 18Sound would work fine, but is there a design available for it? Unless you can rigorously design one of those cross overs, you won't like it. Pro Drivers, Compression Drivers, and Horns sound really bad unless they're muscled into place. They aren't exactly user friendly. You may end up with a bad taste in your mouth.
Old 19th July 2012, 04:40 PM   #1103
diyAudio Member

Just a little hint. Even the WAF-1 found here: Small and/or WAF builds using the Denovo stuff

Goes very loud when crossed over at 90hz to a sub. It's tiny ineffecient 5.25" woofer is by far the limiter. You can see in my power sweeps I did 102db or more and it didn't even flinch. The trick is proper cross over placement to not excite break up in the woofer and not stress the tweeter. Most domes you're listening to in the hifi stores would crumble under my torter tests. I've tested $100 domes that are sweating badly under that test. (The advantage of the dome is dead flat frequency response.)

And 8" pro driver with a large format horn and CD will not dissapoint in the dynamics category.
Old 19th July 2012, 04:49 PM   #1104
diyAudio Member

Is there a problem using ported for the Beta-8A?
How high can I XO the SDX10? I thought that 80Hz would be the optimal XO...

Overkill in which way? I have the money to afford the 350 or the 360.

I don't know if there's a design available for it. Seems to be pretty few designs with the Denovo tweeters but AFAIK the DNA-360 is almost the same as the popular B&C DE250 so maybe it's possible to use the same crossovers too?
Old 19th July 2012, 05:04 PM   #1105
diyAudio Member

1. Ha, that's been quite the topic of debate around the DIY Sound Group builds over on AVSforum. Most feel that they should be sealed to integrate properly with subs because of the phase roll of the port. Others feel it doesn't matter. I'm not much of a box guy, so maybe ask around.

2. Hmm, I shouldn't answer that. But I've heard people are using the SDX quite high. As long as the 2-ways are sitting on top, probably fine going quite high. Check around first though.

3. Overkill only in a good way. And as long as you can find a design that suits what you're wanting.

4. Yup, it's very similar and would probably work as a direct substitute.
Old 19th July 2012, 05:13 PM   #1106
diyAudio Member

Well, then for the sole purpose of making it easy I think I'd rather go with the DNA-360 and look for designs for that or the DE250.

I'll remember to ask about to the first two questions. Maybe Dave or somebody else knows the answers?
Old 19th July 2012, 05:31 PM   #1107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

This might be a good start: SEOS12 with Designer10 Woofer
Old 2nd August 2012, 01:02 AM   #1108
diyAudio Member

Or maybe I should go back to what I was thinking from the beginning, building something already finished and just follow the drawings...
Designing a crossover and all that is probably beyond my skills but I do not fear woodworking.

So this is the one I've been looking at Jenzen CA
But maybe having an active XO between bass and mid instead to cut down on filter costs?
Will have to decide for something soon or I'll be building the Mar-Kel70 in birchply just for the sake of having something to show up as my project work at school...
Old 8th August 2012, 01:37 PM   #1109
diyAudio Member

WLM Lyra Mk2

Just saw that speaker. Seems to have the Eminence Beta-8A and Eminence Alpha-8A
Very interesting. I wonder what kind of tweeter is used, and the crossover frequenices.

Maybe it would be possible to make a clone? Wouldn't be that expensive I guess?
Old 8th August 2012, 03:56 PM   #1110
diyAudio Member

Perhaps I misunderstand how that speaker works (only looking at photos), but that is a stupid combination. Neither speaker makes very much bass.

If you do like that look, do what I've been saying all along. Alpha 8 over your choice of subwoofer and under a nice CD/waveguide combination. Some of the images look like a better bass driver than the alpha 8, so maybe they've chenged it or something. That would be what you want to do.

And the tweeter is a mystery.

Are you picking your speaker choices based on looks? Usually not a good idea.

Last edited by tuxedocivic; 8th August 2012 at 03:59 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!