Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2011, 02:35 PM   #1011
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Maybe I should start a new thread now...

But yeah, I've calculated that I'll earn around 8000SEK in november and december, which gives me a larger budget.

In my room, I would like to build something. I got a pair of EL70eN that can be used (if not i'll probably put them in some birchply mar-kel70 later).
Let's say that I can spend 7000-9000SEK on a pair of speakers and necessary amplifiers. What would you recommend?

I can XO actively with my Reckhorn S-1, solder own filters or use computer (have an Asus Xonar STX soundcard).

Last edited by Rullknufs; 26th November 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 26th November 2011, 02:42 PM   #1012
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Rullknufs,

I have a Xonar STX too - but now I finding you can only use in stereo mode. 5.1 or 7.1 cards (other Xonars) support XO and output to sub.

You know any way to overcome this?
Old 11th December 2011, 12:06 PM   #1013
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Something has happened!!!!

I was bored today so I thought I might just change drives and fix the top pieces which where way too large :P It took exactly two hours from when I unplugged the speaker cables until i plugged them back in again.
First impressions of the sound... Sounds like more bass and maybe a little "darker". Have only listened to one song yet.

I didn't have to turn the drivers 45 degrees and make new screw holes. The old ones actually worked (well, 7 out of 8) and I think they drivers are properly mounted. I saw the foam compress and the edge of the driver is very very close to the baffle.

Last edited by Rullknufs; 11th December 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11th December 2011, 04:16 PM   #1014
diyAudio Member

And by the way, I downloaded a tone generator and found out I have a massive peak at ~55Hz at listening position. When I dragged the frequency bar between 50 and 60Hz I could hear the magnets on my billboard rattle, even at pretty low frequencies. I put my head next to the billboard and the bass was extremely loud there.
Old 31st December 2011, 09:45 PM   #1015
diyAudio Member

How important is large cone area in the midrange?
I came to think of that now. When I listened to the Transmission Audio M3 at a hifistore earlier this week and listened to the song Stimela with Hugh Masekela at pretty loud volume (powered with a Primare I32) the dynamic peaks in the midrange had pretty good "impact" and felt more dynamic than it does when I play the song on my Mar-Kel70 at home. Is it because the M3 had two 7" drivers and I have one 4" or is because it is simply better stuff and had a way better amplifier?
Old 31st December 2011, 10:47 PM   #1016
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Why don't you try all 4 of your el70s and see what you think? I know - easier said than done. The Mar-Kel70^2 might be to your liking. You could top mount the untreated drivers like the micro-towers but with the finesse of your Mar-Kels.
Old 31st December 2011, 10:49 PM   #1017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Why don't you try all 4 of your el70s and see what you think? I know - easier said than done. The Mar-Kel70^2 might be to your liking. You could top mount the untreated drivers like the micro-towers but with the finesse of your Mar-Kels.
Maybe... Might put together a simple closed box for my spare EL70 if i have time and place them on top of my Mar-Kel70 just to see what it sounds like...
Old 1st January 2012, 12:55 AM   #1018
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
How important is large cone area in the midrange?
I came to think of that now. When I listened to the Transmission Audio M3 at a hifistore earlier this week and listened to the song Stimela with Hugh Masekela at pretty loud volume (powered with a Primare I32) the dynamic peaks in the midrange had pretty good "impact" and felt more dynamic than it does when I play the song on my Mar-Kel70 at home. Is it because the M3 had two 7" drivers and I have one 4" or is because it is simply better stuff and had a way better amplifier?
IMD might be the culprit. I love my EL70s. I mean love them a lot. They're my favourite driver I know. BUT, they do have limits that easily show up at higher volumes. Larger Sd has benefits beyond making better bass. The speakers you heard were likely more effecient, so the also require less power to give the same output, therefore likely less power compression at high volumes. So you end up with the dynamics you mention.
Old 1st January 2012, 03:13 AM   #1019
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Is it because the M3 had two 7" drivers and I have one 4" or is because it is simply better stuff and had a way better amplifier?
IMO the dynamics has a lot to do with the amplifier.
Old 1st January 2012, 05:58 AM   #1020
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Good suggestion Jimbro.

Another option is the Micro Towers - probably goes lower than the Kels - Dave can confirm that.

I put my EL-70s in Half Towers yesterday - bass is impressive - might be a bit more than the dual driver Wessex I have.

Hide this!Advertise here!