200 x 2" drivers What to do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, so I have 200 2in cheap full range drivers on the way (yes the Parts Express buyout ones). I was thinking of experimenting with line arrays with 3 columns of drivers 33-34-33 each side with the center column offset half a driver length.
I'll till try this configuration anyway out of curiosity.

I'm sure people have tried planar arrays with conventional drivers?
How do you think a 10x10 array would go? maybe convex curved? dipol?

I'm not expecting great sound from $2 drivers but with 200??

Or am I just being silly?

Cheers Ben

How do you think a 10x10 array would go?

I think it would be great! A friend of mine experimented with 4x4, the results were very promising. But be prepared to use active equalization. It is really needed to get any bass and also highs (because outputs of individual drivers combine up to a certain frequency only)

line arrays with multiple small drivers are out there
on the other hand 10x10 would really something new, a significant contribution to DIY audio

it has potential to become Quad ESL on steroids

and there is more - with 100 per side you can wire them all in series to get multikohm speaker for a different of kind amplifier like SET without OPTs for example

how about that!

best regards,
graaf

Last edited:
Two columns of hundred drivers

OK, so I have 200 2in cheap full range drivers on the way (yes the Parts Express buyout ones).

Build two tight columns, 50 drivers each. Attach them into holes that you could drill to a plastic tube. If your room height does not allow that, leave out few drivers. You could build two such sets of speakers.

Last edited:
Here's a few ideas:

3 columns 33-34-33
100array.png

10x10
10x10array2.png

Something like this or maybe round with a tweeter in the center
thing.png

the only way to go is in a long single line source... take a look at my website under Archives, then CVSR. that's a line source from 1976 or so made up of Peerless 5.25" drivers.

Although it is not immediately obvious, the wider the baffle you use, the better the sound will be.
Pay attention to diffraction issues.

You will need to wire them in series parallel to get to a reasonable impedance.

zero gap between drivers.

There are several nice benefits from multiple drivers:
- lots of power handling
- able to EQ the bottom end
- distortion is reduced as the power per driver for a given SPL is dropped, divided by the number of drivers.
- depending on how many are in parallel the sensitivity is increased compared to a single driver

things like the multiple driver schemes posted above make for a very irregular pattern due to multiple interference effects, probably not a great idea.

There are vertical lobing issues as the freq goes up with a line source, but you can likely live with them or else roll off the array before they get objectionable and add in something on the HF above that point.

_-_-bear

Is it best to stick to one line?

EDIT Bear you answered that sorry - with all those little drivers moving air, what kind of bass extention could you realistically expect?

further Q. whats the minimum listening distance for something like this?

Last edited:
the only way to go is in a long single line source...

the only way is a religious thing ;)

but yes - line source like IDS25 is ok as such
to have as much drivers wired as possible (with this high combined impedance in mind) perhaps it could be made back to back push-push bipole or push-pull dipole arrangement

things like the multiple driver schemes posted above make for a very irregular pattern due to multiple interference effects, probably not a great idea.

indeed such arrangements are highly directional, sweet spot is really just a spot, but in this sweet spot there are no problematic irregularities due to multiple interference
as I posted before a friend of mine had 4x4 tested and measured
at normal listening distance of ca 3m sound wave path length differences are not big enough to create audible problems
You can see measurable problems at standard measurement distance of 1m but there are no audible problems at standard listening distance of ca 3m

There are vertical lobing issues as the freq goes up with a line source,

it cannot be excluded that these are really issues for microphone only but not for our sense of hearing

measurable problems but not audible problems

best regards,
graaf

my suggestions:
in case of a 1x50 line source - only a ribbon or magnetostat with restricted vertical dispersion to match the rest of the line

best regards,
graaf

This is a nice idea - but not quite correct.

the large tall vertical array - especially if it happens to be the height of the room does not exhibit any restriction on vertical dispersion anywhere in front of the speakers... to the contrary, it is exceptionally even at frequencies below the 1/4 wave of the inter -driver center-to-center distance. Even at frequencies above that point the variations in HF response are repetitive along the vertical axis...

So, if you used a single ribbon or even a few ribbons stacked (problems with this too...) you would be restricting the vertical dispersion compared to the main array. Maybe this is not the desired result?

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.